Thread: Aspire 751h, Atheros AR5001, ath5k and aircrack-ng injection

Just burned his ISO

Default Aspire 751h, Atheros AR5001, ath5k and aircrack-ng injection

So, I'm pretty new to BackTrack and to Linux. I've used Linux a few years back, but after my tour in the armed forces I decided to get used to Linux again, and get back into BackTrack.

I found my old netbook and booted up BackTrack 5. Found a tutorial on how to crack my WEP AP with Gerix. Open Gerix and got myself ready, but had to use ChopChop as the other one failed.

Finally I got a result. But what a disappointing result Said that the ChopChop failed, maybe because my wireless card isn't supported by aircrack.ng

So I found some info on the aircrack site, and with my limited knowlegde of computer hardware I found out that my chipset is AR5001.

But what I also noticed was that it said that the madwifi driver allowed injection and should be 100% compatible with aircrack, but also that ath5k and ath9k wouldn't be.

Now I don't know how to find out what driver I use, but I seem to remember seeing ath5k active somewhere in my system.

So I guess my question is:

- Is it really true that I can't effectively use aircrack and crack WEP (and later on WPA) with my AR5001 chipset if I use ath5k driver?

- If true, how do I change to a better driver (like madwifi)? (Please remember that I am pretty new, and don't know much of what is logical to you. So some noob proof guides with explanations to why we are doing it would be really good)

I hope you guys can help me.

And sorry if I'm way to new to this. But you gotta start somewhere.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Aspire 751h, Atheros AR5001, ath5k and aircrack-ng injection

Does noone really know how to go from ath5k driver to madwifi driver, so that injection will work?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Aspire 751h, Atheros AR5001, ath5k and aircrack-ng injection

So, noone really knows how to disable the ath5k driver and enable madwifi driver for injection to work?