Thread: wmi-client

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default wmi-client

Hi folks,

I use BT5 on my management network to perform internal audits of my network, and for automated responses to observed (malicious) traffic via snort... I have something new that I'm interested in adding to this box... automated uninstalls of 'blacklisted' applications.

Specifically, I wish to write a script (don't need help with the script) that will enumerate each PC on my domain, connect through WMIC, enumerate installed programs, compare said programs to a list of known bad programs, and then uninstall any bad programs it finds. The script itself will be simple...

My problem is that I cannot seem to find a WMI client for BT... the wmi-client package does not appear to be in any of the BT5 repos.

Does anyone have any recommendations on alternative clients? Would it be a bad idea for me to add a different repo which does have it, get the source, and compile it (understanding that I may need to monkey with the code to make it compile)?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: wmi-client

If you can't find it in our repos, then perhaps you can compile it from source. I would definitely not use other repos as this will most likely cause problems.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Adding repos will most likely cause problems, MOD EDIT: Removed. See Next Post

Anyways, this may not be an appropriate solution for all cases and you should always use your judgment before you install packages from other sources, especially if they come from a dubious sources or with many dependencies. Good luck!
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 06-18-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I guess that I should have also stated We do not support adding BT repos to other distros, nor adding other repos to BackTrack Linux. I guess having it in the faq is not enough.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: wmi-client

My apologies. My instructions were for getting an individual package, specifically so OP wouldn't have to add the repository which was what he originally asked. I didn't think that this was also forbidden.

Just burned his ISO

Appreciate the answers guys - I saw the FAQ, and I know that it's not officially supported... doesn't mean I can't try, just means that if I fubar my system, I'm on my own (and that you told me so) - right?

I've downloaded the source, and I'm working on making it compile - there are a few errors that I'm having trouble resolving, but it'll be a good learning experience. I will post back if I have any success - perhaps, also, if there is interest, I could offer the modified package (and/or the steps I took to make it compile on BT5) back to the community.

That is, of course, assuming I can make it compile... I'm well past the deep end of my knowledge of Linux (which admittedly is not great). Should be fun