Thread: Installed backtrack 5 on one HDD, can no longer boot to the other one

Just burned his ISO

Default Installed backtrack 5 on one HDD, can no longer boot to the other one

Hey everyone, hopefully I posted this in the right section. I know it's not very closely related to backtrack, but hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem.

My current computer has a few different HDDs installed in it, along with a SSD that I boot my main Windows 7 OS from. I keep all my data on a separate HDD, and I've got two extra HDDs that I don't really use. So I decided to install BT5 on one of the extra HDDs and use the entire disk, so I wouldn't have to bother with installing grub, but instead I could select the drive I wanted to boot from through my BIOS boot device selection page.

I installed BT5 on a 160GB HDD, removed the disc, and rebooted, thinking that I would load up my windows 7 again by default since that was the first drive configured on my boot order in my BIOS. Instead, the BT5 installation booted. I didn't think much of it, I figured I may have accidentally left the 160GB HDD before my OS drive on the boot order. But when I checked the boot order, my normal SSD was first, then the HDD that had BT installed on it.

After that, I manually selected to boot to the Win7 SSD and was presented with a terrifying error:

"boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter"

Since I got that error I've tried everything to get back into my Windows 7. I've loaded my default BIOS settings, searched forums for people with the same error, booted to the windows 7 repair disk, I can't figure it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I know this isn't really a backtrack-related problem, but I would appreciate any help I can get. I might try to install grub and manually create a selection to boot to my Windows 7 Drive.

Thanks!
    -Grey

Default Re: Installed backtrack 5 on one HDD, can no longer boot to the other one

I think you've screwed up your partitioning there.

Since you keep your data on a different disk it shouldn't be too dramatic and you should be still able to access the data. Might have to reinstall Win 7 though.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Installed backtrack 5 on one HDD, can no longer boot to the other one

Well that's not too bad. I'll keep working on it for another day or so then I'll throw in the towel and reinstall.

Thanks for the help
    -Grey

I mistakenly wiped my Win7 and had to reinstall it, along with all my other software in that OS. But once I ironed out that wrinkle, I found BT5 very easy to understand and install in conjunction with Win7. The grub was also auto installed and there was no need for me to upgrade the splash screen either as was case with BT4. The graphics (at least for this machine) automatically recognized the proper display settings too. I too think you made a booboo and suggest that you wipe your drives, then reinstall your Win7 then BT5 as a dual boot. Just my 2 cents

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

Default Re : Installed backtrack 5 on one HDD, can no longer boot to the other one

To OP : it seems to me you screwed up your MBR. That's not so bad, google will be your friend ! Or maybe you did screw up the partitionning, but I hope you did not...
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

If it's the partitions that are screwed then use TestDisk to recover them;

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

This program has saved my bacon (and others) a few times now.