Thread: Tor browser on backtrack5

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Tor browser on backtrack5

Hi,

After I downloaded Tor for backtrack 5 (I couldn't seem to find it, although proxychains was installed), I tried to run it with ./start-tor-browser

The response I get is..

Code:
    Launching Tor Browser Bundle for Linux in /pentest/tunneling/tor-browser_en-us
    ./start-tor-browser: line 93: ./App/vidalia: cannot execute binary file

Exited cleanly.  Goodbye.
    Has anyone had any success with this? Is there any other way to use proxychains to tunnel my IP rather than using Tor?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Tor browser on backtrack5

Sorry, I have no solution, but having the exact same problem. Anyone else have any advice?

Just burned his ISO

Tor isn't installed as default on Blacktrack5.

http://www.binbert.com/blog/2011/06/...n-backtrack-5/ is a tutorial on how to get Tor running on BT5.

However, I've had no luck with Firefox 4.1. The current TorButton stable isn't compatible and the Alpha installs but doesn't appear to do anything. Everything else seems fine.

Just burned his ISO

If you guys are using the torbrowser bundle for linux then I can answer this for you. It seems that when I downloaded and unzipped the bundle for some reason mine said the owner of the files and folders was user 2011 and group was 2011 instead of root and group root which is who you are running as. So if you run a chown command with recursive on the unzipped directory this will change ownership and allow the package to work without errors.

If your terminal is in the folder you downloaded the bundle to then this would be the command

chown -R root:root ./tor-browser_en-US

If you downloaded a different language then your folder name may be different.

I tested it and mine works as expected.

Just burned his ISO

Yep still having the same problem even after changing the owner back to root. I did see the same behavior in terms of assigning it to the user 2011. but I still get the same error.

Launching Tor Browser Bundle for Linux in /root/Desktop/tor-browser_en-US
    ./start-tor-browser: line 93: ./App/vidalia: cannot execute binary file

OP, have you had any luck?

Just burned his ISO

Hi guys,

I am still having this same problem. I've tried in multiple clean installs, and even switched from the iso to the vmware image just to make sure, but the behavior is always the same...Line 93 vidalia can't execute binary, exiting cleanly, goodbye. I've tried changing the permissions as the guy above recommended, but it had no effect.

Any ideas at all?

Tor is a pretty basic thing to get up and running on every other OS I've tried, and will be mandatory for doing much recon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poidog View Post
    Hi guys,

I am still having this same problem. I've tried in multiple clean installs, and even switched from the iso to the vmware image just to make sure, but the behavior is always the same...Line 93 vidalia can't execute binary, exiting cleanly, goodbye. I've tried changing the permissions as the guy above recommended, but it had no effect.

Any ideas at all?

Tor is a pretty basic thing to get up and running on every other OS I've tried, and will be mandatory for doing much recon.

Thanks
    Why not just set your browser to point to Tor instead of getting tor-browser working? There's a few more clicks involved, when you need to turn it on/off, but it does the job.

I just like to use Tor, proxychains, and foxyproxy. Working fine for me in BT5.

Just burned his ISO

So I have begun using BT5 quite recently, tbh I find it interesting like no other operating system I've tried using before but still know very little about it or linux in general.

You can't beat the ubuntu software center for installing stuff thou if your having problems. If you find your having difficulty installing TOR I would recommend installing by first downloanding and installing the software center with the command

apt-get install sofware-center

then just search running the software center and looking for Tork and run it from the internet application option. If your using Tor thou I would recommend reading

http://www.brainonfire.net/blog/tor-...mous-browsing/

before you begin even considering surfing the web casually using tor thou dude. I'd also consider reading these pages a well, if your looking to browse without leaving any trace just using tor doesn't cut it thou from what i hear if you are really serious. Also its not recommended for use with torrents so I wouldn't use it with transmission (I don't really get why but the reasons not to seem complex enough for me not to think differently without reading up some more).

tor

http://www.brainonfire.net/blog/tor-...mous-browsing/

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bit...isnt-good-idea

http://digg.com/news/story/Why_You_S...rrent_Over_Tor

http://www.security-faqs.com/why-usi...-identity.html

http://www.gotroot.com/Anonymous%20B...t%20with%20TOR

Hope that helps

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

There is no need for tor or tor browser on a penetration testing distro. Case closed. Problem solved.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.