Thread: No sound through HDMI

Just burned his ISO

Default No sound through HDMI

So i've been searching around and I'm not finding anything, Perhaps I just need a bump in the right direction.

I have just installed BackTrack 5 KDE 64 Bit and everything works perfectly except for one thing I noticed. Sound via HDMI. Here are the specs

MSI K9A2 Platinum board
    400W PSU
    AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition
    3 x 2GB sticks of OCZ Platinum DDR2 RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT PCI Express card.

Now I have a DVI-HDMI Adapter that came with the card which works perfectly in Windows with sound and all connecting my computer to a 42" HDTV via HDMI. I recently added a 23" Acer LCD monitor to the other DVI port to clone the screen so when I'm using the TV for something else I can still use my computer with a monitor.

Now i've been scratching my head over this for a week trying to figure out what to do to get the sound to work. In KMix I have 2 tabs in the Mixer windows. 1 is titled "HDA ATI SB" and it has 6 channels 'Master', 'Front', 'Center', 'LFE', 'PCM' & 'Headphone' respectively. All but Headphone have slider volume controls and all but PCM have Speaker icons for muting the sound at the bottom.

In the other tab labelled "HDA ATI HDMI" I have just 1 channel titled IEC958. There is no volume slider and the speaker icon is muted by default. Nothing happens when I click unmute.

In alsamixer I'm default to HDA ATI SB, everything is unmuted. So I hit S to switch cards to HDA ATI HDMI and I see 1 channel S/PDIF but there is no volume control here. Listed under Chip it says ATI R6xx HDMI.

arecord -l returns the following

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 2: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    NOTE: At one point earlier it had card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI] listed as well. Maybe playing with the video drivers had something to do with this not showing up now.

I tried at one point downloading the file ati-driver-installer-11-5-x86.x86_64.run from amd's website and installing ATI driver's myself. The reason I tried this is cause I heard that ATI driver's are compiled without audio support by default. But I couldn't figure out how to enable audio in them and performance from just the default ati driver really sucked. The windows would lag when dragging them around so I removed the driver and ran apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon (thinking this is what Backtrack used when it setup) but I was wrong because that only allowed me to reach a resolution of 1280x1024. So I did apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati and was able to get back to my original 1920x1080 resolution and settings. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to enable audio output from hdmi so I can have sound when connected to my TV? I would greatly appreciate it.

I also noticed by default in BT5 & Ubuntu even there's no /etc/X11/xorg.conf, Where is the video configuration loaded from in this case? How can I customize it?

NOTE6/13/2011) - cat /proc/asound/cards gives me
    0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
    HDA ATI SB at 0xfe7f4000 irq 16
    1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfe8ec000 irq 44
    and there's a dir for card0 & card1 in /proc/asound as well
    Last edited by BloodRaven; 06-14-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: No sound through HDMI

*BUMP*

Any Suggestions?

Default Re: No sound through HDMI

I'm currently running into this same issue... Did you ever find a solution?? I never had this problem with the gnome edition of backtrack