Thread: Booting persistent Backtrack 5 on Mac using rEFIt and LiLi (How do I do it?)

Just burned his ISO

Question Booting persistent Backtrack 5 on Mac using rEFIt and LiLi (How do I do it?)

I'm trying to boot persistent Backtrack 5 on Mac using rEFIt and LiLi USB Creator. I have the latest version of all software involved. I want to install rEFIt on a small partition on the drive so that it can boot on any Mac, not just a Mac with rEFIt installed.

It would be most helpful to more users if responders would post full explanations on how to properly do this, rather than simply correcting my errors.

I copied the EFI folder of the rEFIt dmg to the ~30MB HFS+ partition of the drive and enabled it (./enable.sh and all that). I then placed the flashdisk in a Windows machine (convenience) and ran LiLi installing BT5-KDE (LiLi autodetected it to a BT4 release) with persistence set to 4096MB (I'd like to max this out to the rest of the drive space if someone knows how to automatically do that) with everything else defaulted.

Now when I boot to the drive, I can get into rEFIt, but when I select the partition with BT5 as the boot partition, it boots the first hard disk instead. I'm guessing there's some kind of disconnect, that rEFIt is somehow not pointing at the place BT5 needs it to be?

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN VIRTUALIZATION, I HAVE VIRTUALIZATION RUNNING WITHOUT ISSUE. PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS VIRTUALIZATION OPTIONS/ISSUES BELOW.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Booting persistent Backtrack 5 on Mac using rEFIt and LiLi (How do I do it?)

Hi,
    I think i got the reason of your problem. I think that you should start the script enable.sh from rEFIt at the end of the process to make it takes into account the syslinux configuration
    I used your idea of the HFS+ partition and then use the walkthrhttp://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/...Persistent_USB

Now i am able when i boot my macbook pro 5.5 to see the USB key, select rEFIt with will display 2 entries : HD and Syslinux. Then i select Syslinux and it boots perfect
    Have fun !