Thread: Airodump-ng mon0 issue

Just burned his ISO

Default Airodump-ng mon0 issue

For some reason every time i use the command airodump-ng mon0 it only shows my own network. All the videos I have seen, the command shows multiple other nearby networks. How come I am having this issue?

I was going to take a screen shot and post it, but for some reason I am getting an error message? (Could also use help on this lol) So here is all I am seeing.

Code:
    CH  3 ][ Elapsed: 28 s ][ 2011-06-07 23:31                                         

BSSID              PWR  Beacons    #Data, #/s  CH  MB   ENC  CIPHER AUTH ESSID     

E0:94:R5:B4:36:D0  -58      197       64    0   3  54e. WPA2 CCMP   PSK  ARCANE-NET

BSSID              STATION            PWR   Rate    Lost  Packets  Probes          

E0:94:R5:B4:36:D0  00:1E:E5:2A:6E:C2    0   36e-54      0       84                  
     E0:94:R5:B4:36:D0  A8:E3:EE:2D:B2:E2  -33   48 - 1      1       27  ARCANE-NET
    Also can anyone explain the difference between top half and bottom half, or better yet point me towards a guide/tutorial if any that explains all the data displayed. I am not a leech or anything, I am actually really interested in learning how to use this distro entirely but its these little bumps in the road that discourage people from continuing.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Airodump-ng mon0 issue

Oh this is for a diagnostic purpose, as a favor to my boss. I can now see why this may look sketchy, lol.

Just burned his ISO

If your connected to ARCANE_NET then you can only pick up AP's that are using the same channel (freq). Disconnect from it and try again.

Just burned his ISO

Don't see a channel selection there,try this

#airodump-ng --band bg mon0

This should set to "sniff" on all channels,
    to stop it from sniffing type,

airmon-ng stop mon0

hope this helps.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by brian1175 View Post
    If your connected to ARCANE_NET then you can only pick up AP's that are using the same channel (freq). Disconnect from it and try again.
    Not necessarily true; I have the same thing happen at any given time, my console will go from displaying 50+ APs to displaying only the one to which I'm connected, and then a few minutes later the other APs and clients start showing up again.

I haven't been able to discern what the cause is, but I'm connected to my home router as I type this and can still see the other APs around me in airodump.