Thread: Passed my CTP challenge

Default Passed my CTP challenge

I just received an e-mail confirming that I have passed my CTP challenge exam and I am officially OSCE certified! Between CTP and PWB I have learned so much and I would recommend these courses to anyone who wants to learn practical penetration testing techniques. The challenges are so difficult but that only makes the victories that much sweeter. I even used backtrack 5 at some points just to get a little more comfortable with the new release. If anyone is interested in looking at these great courses from offensive-securirt check out this link http://www.offensive-security.com/in...ertifications/
    I'm just so happy about passing I had to come here and post this message . Now it would be great if they would make an online version of the AWE course at some point.

Default Re: Passed my CTP challenge

Sadly those certs are unavailable in my country.
    Scientia ac Labore

Actually, i've thought a lot about taking the certification.. I'm gonna wait about a year, so that i'm fully confident about the basics (and better at ruby/php/python etc)..
    But thumbs up for passing the test! Now it's time to learn others, what you've been learning

Quote Originally Posted by Dudeman02379 View Post
    I just received an e-mail confirming that I have passed my CTP challenge exam and I am officially OSCE certified!
    very nice, congrats! sounds like yr quite stoked (rightfully so)
    Between CTP and PWB I have learned so much and I would recommend these courses to anyone who wants to learn practical penetration testing techniques. The challenges are so difficult but that only makes the victories that much sweeter.
    I whole-heartedly agree (I'm currently on PWB right now), this one is an amazing course... very, very fun + informative! I'm looking forward to giving CTP a shot too.

I even used backtrack 5 at some points just to get a little more comfortable with the new release.
    I've been doing the same, every once in a while I pull out the BT5 VM to play around with PWB labs. so far, so good!

Dudeman02379, I got a question for ya... since you did both PWB and CTP, can you tell me what kind of studying you did after taking the PWB course?
    I have this book Shellcoder's handbook (2nd ed) that I have been wanting to dig deep into after I get thru (hopefully!) the PWB. just curious what u did after PWB and before taking CTP, as I am looking to do the same thing = take CTP course after PWB. any good resources you may want to suggest for someone in my shoes? congrats again.

-fnord0
    'see the fnords!'

After PWB I really focused on exploit writing and web application vulnerabilities because I knew they would be important for CTP. Here are a few links that helped me out alot before getting to CTP.

Great series on exploit development
    Lupins blog. He has some great info here that will really help
    Archangelamaels blog. Some nice tidbits here too

I also spent alot of time with webgoat and DamnVulnerableWebapp.

i hope to have one of those certificates someday...

excellent, I had seen this series on the corelan site before but this is great as they are PDFs I will for sure be going thru these. lupin and archangelamaels sites are very good, I definately will go thru them again soon! thanks for the suggestions. to tell ya the truth I wasn't aware CTP was that much focused on webapp hacking... I will definately work on that area too before going forward with CTP. thanks again.
    Im curious if you already have a job in the security field, or if you took the classes to expand your knowledge, and/or to GET INTO the security field?

-fnord0
    'see the fnords!'

It is heavier on exploit development but there is also a fair amount of web app knowledge required.

I've been in the IT field for about 10 years and I am currently a manager/engineer at a small IT consulting company. I do not do any pentesting or security audits but I am responsible for the planning and deployment of security devices (firewalls, IDS, etc). I have been studying offensive-security for a long time just because I think it is so interesting and fun. Some time in the future I would really like to get into pentesting because I have a passion for it.