Thread: Cannot chainload BT5-Partition

Just burned his ISO

Default Cannot chainload BT5-Partition

Hi,

This is a repost as my previous thread didnt seem to go through (been more than 24hours):
    I am using BackTrack5 R2 and installed it to a logical partition.
    On this system I chainload all partitions from an extlinux boot partition which simply does a "COM32 chain.c32 and APPEND hd0 10" (in similar manner for each of the OS's running on that computer)
    While all other Ubuntu installations (Version 11.10) and even non-ubuntu work just fine with this, BackTrack seems to have a problem with this.

The message I get after the chainload to the BackTrack-partition has been done is "Boot sector signature not found (unbootable disk/partition?)"
    I have tried fresh installs of the 32 and 64bit variant of BT5 R2 but both have this problem, I have also tried boot-repair (doing a fresh install of grub2, etc.) from a live-cd, also without success.
    Boot-repair runs successfully but afterwards you get this in the report:
    Code:
    sda10: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector type:  Grub2 (v1.99)
        Boot sector info:  Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the boot sector of 
                           sda10 and looks at sector 1 of the same hard drive for 
                           core.img, but core.img can not be found at this 
                           location.
        Operating System:  BackTrack 5 R2 - Code Name 
                           Revolution 64 bit
        Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img
    I have already posted this in the ubuntuforums but as this problem is only with BT I thought I might give it a try here.
    Here is the link to the thread on ubuntuforums:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1944906&page=3

The weird thing is, if I activate os-probing on one of the other Ubuntus, it detects BackTrack as Ubuntu and puts it into the menu, booting it from there works fine!
    However I don't want to boot from the main menu to one partition only to get the boot menu there (which I would usually disable) and then boot into BackTrack...

Can anyone help me with this problem?
    If more info is needed I will gladly provide it if you tell me how and what.
    I really tried googling for this problem and searching the forums but was unable to find a solution.

PS: writing a boot sector into the partition from a different OS seems to work fine but it obviously also redirects me to the grub menu of the other OS, it seems that I cannot create a bootable partition with backtrack without also writing into the mbr?

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Cannot chainload BT5-Partition

is there maybe a way to replace grub 1.98 from BackTrack with Grub1.99?

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

can anybody confirm this or anyone found a solution to this?

Just burned his ISO

does someone maybe know how I can replace grub with extlinux on backtrack as it does not seem to be in the repositories...

Just burned his ISO

Would anyone be able to help with this? It still does not work with BackTrack5 R3
    I either need a newer version of grub (Oneiric Ocelot and Precise Pangolin run just fine chainloading their grub) or extlinux (the installed syslinux is too old and does not seem to support ext4).