Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No network connections

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: No network connections

I was given an older IBM T42 and decided to dedicate the machine for BT5R1. I've had the worst time trying to get the wireless card to function correctly. For the past three days, I've done nothing but search forums, and try recommended solutions. So far, the only thing that has worked at all was gunrnr's suggestion (pasting the firmware files into lib/firmware). I can now see available networks via wicd, but can't connect to any of mine. My home router is WPA2, and an additional test router is WEP - can not connect to save my life..... not even manually. I get the typical "Cannot obtain IP". The driver is ipw2200, and if I try putting it into monitor via airodump-ng, I get "Error while getting interface flags: No such device".

I'm def not the most experienced Linux user, so I'm hoping there is a simple fix that I've been overlooking. I'd be very, very grateful if someone wouldn't min stepping in and educating me on what should be done to correct this. I won't be able to rest until it is, lol!

Let me know what info I can post to help in troubleshooting. The T42 has no way to connect to the internet without the wireless working (I'm posting from a Win laptop). I can, however, post the commands/responses by doing the "usb-dance" from laptop to laptop. Thanks in advance for your time!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunr View Post
    well if you follow my link it leads to a list of firmware, i downloaded the latest and unzipped it and pasted it into the /lib/firmware folder and rebooted, and now my IBM T42's ipw2200 works like the awesome. Here's a more direct like to the answer, four spoon points to me.
    Thank you, gunrunr. I too have an ancient IBM R51. I did exactly what you said and it worked. Now, being a linux neophyte, I will add for the benefit of other neophytes, you run the TAR command against the file and, as gunrunr showed, you end up with 4 files. Copy those 4 files directly into the main lib/firmware folder. I made the first mistake of coping the ipw2200 folder in to the lib/firmware folder and it did not recognise it.

Just burned his ISO

In that situation you must update your network connection settings and also restore your system again finally if issue not solved then take Microsoft Customer Help for better solution which provide you best wireless support by expert microsoft certified engineers.

Just burned his ISO

Question Re: No network connections

Quote Originally Posted by cgelici View Post
    Check if interfaces are present:

Code:
    ifconfig
    Try "ifconfig wlan0 up" of "ifconfig eth0 up" if they don't show.

Code:
    /etc/init.d/wicd start
    Then start Wicd Network Manager.

If it still doesn't work, check that your hardware is compatible with Backtrack 5. (<<Actually, do this first )
    ------------------------
    i do these all but and my pc start wicd but in mozilla i cant get start web or on terminal i cant update or upgrade the system

Just burned his ISO

This worked for me as well. I had to reboot the system before I could bring the interface up for some reason, but I'm all set now. Thanks Gunrunr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12