Thread: Switching from Debian to Backtrack 5 (Suggestions/Comments?)

Just burned his ISO

Default Switching from Debian to Backtrack 5 (Suggestions/Comments?)

I have been using Debian for about 8-10 years. I am thinking of switching over to BackTrack. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments for the switch?

I am going to play around with the LiveDVD for a while before I decide. I will be using it on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29... it is not terribly fast but had no problems running Debian. I will be using the built-in wifi card (ipw2100) and an external wifi card (ath5k chipset).

Default Re: Switching from Debian to Backtrack 5 (Suggestions/Comments?)

A lot of people say that backtrack isn't your "everyday distro." You could always add an unprivileged user but I've heard a couple mods talk about how adding users isn't supported in backtrack 5... All that aside I personally use backtrack as my main OS and I absolutely love it.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

well unless you are using it for some type of specialized job such as "pentesting" or "infosec", it doesn't really make much sense to me why you wouldn't just install ubuntu instead. The regular version most people install is chock full of more bloatware than i go on my smartphone, but its easy to manage and its not locked up so all that bloatware can be gone in a second.
    one other mention, theres nothing like letting someone look at your computer and having them flick the toolbar and ask you what all these tools do....
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

why don't you dual boot them?

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunr View Post
    well unless you are using it for some type of specialized job such as "pentesting" or "infosec", it doesn't really make much sense to me why you wouldn't just install ubuntu instead.
    I see you point here.... but....

You don't 'need' a specialized job to use, abuse, enjoy or simply have fun with Backtrack.

If you are just interested in IT you can have lot's of sound educational fun with Backtrack,
    if you like to have more control over your OS Backtrack can be the thing for you,
    if you like to challenge your self with software that doesn't always works out of the box Backtrack can be what your looking for,
    Or you are just simply overwhelmed by the smooth ninja-style GUI then surely Backtrack is THE OS for you.

You don't have to use any of the tools provided with Backtrack but it would indeed be a shame not to do.

There are tons of reasons why you could choose Backtrack above other distro's as long as you keep in mind that Backtrack really isn't a typical or a fist-time-linux-user distro.

If it feels good using Backtrack then keep on using it.