Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help with BT5 installation. I've tried everything

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Please help with BT5 installation. I've tried everything

I'm no pro with computers, but I have been trying at this for 4 days. I've tried installing backtrack5 , r1, r2, I've downloaded and verified every file that you can download directly from the website. I've dried burning to a DVD, and running a live USB, I've tried 3 different USB thumb drives, all more than 8gb.

When I go into BIOS and select boot from CD or USB I get a menu that says UBUNTU at the top and it lets me select which mode to start in (forensics, text, etc.) I've selected every single option and it all leads to the same thing. BT5 starts booting up and all the text starts running down the screen. Then the screen goes black and then a glitchy, staticy type of image comes up. Like the white noise from a television except its completely frozen with some random purple lines and stuff. I don't have a chance to type in any commands or anything.

When this happens from a disc, the disc becomes unusable again. From a live usb, I can try as many times as I want but I just end up at the frozen screen. I have other live USB's that work just fine. I run tails 0.11 just fine from a live USB and a DVD. PLEASE HELP I'm going crazy!! Any answers are much appreciated, ask any questions you can too! Sorry if I left out important info.

The two attachments I added are the screen I get after I boot from USB in BIOS and the next screen with all the text. It wont let me upload the other picture of what it looks like when it crashes
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Please help with BT5 installation. I've tried everything

My best advice is to search the hardware compatibility list forums, and verify your hardware there. You might also check the BackTrack wiki for more info.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

what is the specs of the system you are running? have you tried running a memtest? I had seriou sinstallation issues and it turned out my RAM was bust and corrupting everything

Just burned his ISO

Sry sir.. It seems your prblem mybe can be solve if you use this software to make pendrive as bootable...
    Try to use Usb Universal to boot your BT5.iso...
    Here is the link ang tutorial...
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/
    Im just using this to make multiboot on my lenovo netbook.. and it seem no problem yet....
    Im now can use Win 7 and BT52....
    Just a little advise to all BT5 newbie like me..... ^^

Just burned his ISO

I have just installed BT5r2 to my laptop and also hade some problems installing from an usb memory when it was formated with ext4 (or maby it was ext3). I solved that with formating the memory to fat32.

I blame my lack of English skills on my Swedish roots

Just burned his ISO

I think i have exactly the same problem. I'm trying to boot through USB made with UNetbootin.
    Right after the boot selection menu (e.g, the blue screen with the options) the screen goes black and artifacts appear (see IMG: WP_000234.jpg ).
    I'm positive the USB works fine because my laptop booted with it flawlessly.

My system is:

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz 8mb
    ATI HD 6670
    4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 (1155 socket)

I couldn't find anything on the compatibility forum.
    ANY help is appreciated.

edit: I've tried both KDE x64 and Gnome x64. Both BT5 (not R1/R2).
    Also, it works on VM Ware (booting & installation).

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Well, it seems to be a problem with video driver, specially with ATI HD series...In the forum there are some people with ATI HD series having the same problem...But with no luck so far..

Please, try Ctl+Alt+F2 and see if you can get access to the terminal (text mode)...

Just burned his ISO

same thing happens with me except i get kicked back into a shell and presented an error code that says "(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: invalid argument can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/caspert/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

happens with both USB and DVD. tried different BT5 isos but not the R2. works fine in VMware.

Just burned his ISO

Are you using 32 or 64 bit? I have that problem when running 64 bit even though the checksum verifies and also verifies when the burned DVD is read into a .iso. The 32 bit runs fine 9 out of 10 boot ups but 1 out of 10 I'll get the trashed screen you described. (I'm running BT5r1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad X120e.)

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Please, use distro in 32-bit....Another thing, please, all people, do not format USB in ext4 or ext3 , if so, syslinux is located in a different place, and not in /syslinux..If formatted in fat16 or fat32, you will be able to boot and find syslinux in root....Again, if formatted in ext3 or ext4, google and see the difference in location of syslinux. You will have to mod a little bit some config files.

You may encounter problems with ATI HD series if that is your case. But try it (32-bit distro)..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast