Thread: Receiving packets but can't find code

Just burned his ISO

Default Receiving packets but can't find code

I'm running test on my network and getting mixed results...
    On some days AIRCRACK-PTW finds the key within seconds (and a couple of thousand of received packets), and on other occasions I can collect hundred of thousands and I won't find anything (I give up in the end). I always probe my own network, which I know has a 64bit key.
    There are no indications of any problems on the way whatsoever.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on? Thanks!

How many packets are you collecting with an IV ? If you read the documentation you'll see that getting even 40,000 worthwhile packes only yields finding the key at a 50% rate and with 85,000 goes up to 80%.

You could be sending hundreds of thousands of packets, but it only matters what how many "interesting" packets you get. Also, if you have collected hundreds of thousands of IV packets, then just use aircrack-ng.

Just burned his ISO

Well, the guys from aircrack-ptw just seem to be rather proud that they can, and I quote from their website: "it is possible to recover a 104 bit WEP key with probability 50% using just 40,000 captured packets. For 60,000 available data packets, the success probability is about 80% and for 85,000 data packets about 95%."

And I understand we're talking packets here, not even IVs. So if I have 200,000 packets I thought that it would come up with a key that's not even104 bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Eristic View Post
    How many packets are you collecting with an IV ? If you read the documentation you'll see that getting even 40,000 worthwhile packes only yields finding the key at a 50% rate and with 85,000 goes up to 80%.

You could be sending hundreds of thousands of packets, but it only matters what how many "interesting" packets you get. Also, if you have collected hundreds of thousands of IV packets, then just use aircrack-ng.

Quote Originally Posted by Naujoks View Post
    And I understand we're talking packets here, not even IVs. So if I have 200,000 packets I thought that it would come up with a key that's not even104 bit...
    You need more than just junk packets. Watch your "data" column in airodump. Now, if that says 200k, then you should have no problem cracking any 64/128 bit key with ptw.