Thread: fix corrupted dual boot -windows

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up fix corrupted dual boot -windows

I have had issues with my laptop, Asus UL80VT, not booting correctly on restart. Quite frequently really. It's normally recovery.dat errors or some blue screen memory issues. End result is that it doesn't boot properly. This becomes an issue when dual booting Windows 7 and Bactrack.

In the past I would issues the following command at the windows command prompt, after waiting 12 minutes for windows to tell me it can't solve the issue. You may be familiar with the screen I mean if your reading this.

"bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL"

This would rewrite the mbr and erase the chance to boot into Linux.

Instead of doing this, you can issue the following command and it will write to drive where you have windows installed, in my case C: is the core install and D: is my documents, music, video etc.

"bootsect.exe /nt60 C:"

After selecting "Windows 7" on grub it correctly boots into Windows. This may stop a headache for someone at a later time.

Default Re: fix corrupted dual boot -windows

Thanks for contributing.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: fix corrupted dual boot -windows

I think i have the same problem. I started with making in my Win7 laptop, a bootable USB with BT5, rebooted my system and after that, I am only able to boot from my BT5 on USB. The original C drive with W7, or OS doesnt appair anymore in the bios or in BT5. So i think the mbr is ****ed, tried to install Super Grub Disk through unetbootin (read alot of topics the last 48hours, in a try to rcover my precious .fla creations and alot of pics) boot it won't boot, or start with a boot screen, if i boot with or without the USB stick inside.
    When i put my USB stick with BT5 into another W7 system, i perfectly boots and displays the OS disk into the places/computer screen. I there have access to my old Win7 install en can perfectly boor into W7 after i remove the USB stick.
    -How can i fix the mbr on my laptop?
    -I must did something wrong on my laptop with installing BT5 on a USB with unetbootin? But what?

THanks in advance for all ideas, greetz vito