Thread: Backtrack Screen/driver issue

Just burned his ISO AlexDaGr8est's Avatar

Default Backtrack Screen/driver issue

Hi guys,

Just got a new netbook, HP DM1z with the new AMD APU, 3GB ddr3 ram
    default res 1366x768
    I have already installed the VM of BT5 on my Desktop, but Im trying to get it going on my new netbook.
    So here's what I've done so far...
    Ran Unetbootin with the x64 gnome version and my display will not show anything on screen (looks like the old analog tv's when they dont receive any reception on screen - digital fuzziness) after I select debug mode, no drm, default - anything etc
    Thought that the ISO i d/l was corrupt, so I d/l the 32-bit version of BT5 KDE and unetbootin again - this yielded the same results.

This seems like a driver issue to me if I cannot even see the starting "splash screen"
    where you startx and initially logon.

Any ideas, Im not that much of a linux noob, wondering if there was a way for me to get just where I can get to xorg and attempt to edit/play around and attempt to fix from there?

Also I have tested and this 32-bit KDE version works on other computers with my USB thumbdrive

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Backtrack Screen/driver issue

Hello, i have the same netbook, any 64 bit version of backtrack can't boot, i have white screen of the dead. But i have installed 32 bits gnome version successfully, at the grub prompt select boot which no DRM or set a te kernel line option -nomodest.

good luck

Statement edited, this has been reported as fixed for a number of back-trackers, so I will attempt their solutions, before casting doubt on them.
    (before editing I stated - from what I saw on another forum - that there were no linux drivers for APU's yet, which is not true btw)
    Last edited by AlexDaGr8est; 08-18-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: I sounded like an idiot and it was late/ I was tired when writing

Just burned his ISO

Just had to create an account to bump this thread.

I just purchased an Acer aspire-one 522 (BZ623) with the c50 'APU' which I am trying to run backtrack on. I am able to boot into Ubuntu 11.04 no problem, so it seems more like a 'videocard driver in backtrack' problem than a 'linux doesn't support this yet' problem. I believe BT5 is based on ubuntu 10.04 though? (I didn't try installing ubu 10.04 on this netbook.)

on boot I get a vga error, and it asks me to choose a different VGA setting, but all of them seem to bring me to a multicoloured 'snow' screen - in other words, no video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Seems someone's found the same problem (because I can't seem to explain it correctly): http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTE5OA

And they mention a solution: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...317#post182317

but whats involved is a bit hefty for me to grasp. i am going to continue to read over this, but hopefully someone smarter can jump in and give this a shot

Just burned his ISO

I have had 3 issues with bt5 and the Acer Aspire One (AO531h) netbook. It has a 10.1" screen with a 160gig hdd and 2gigs of ram. The 1st issue was booting into the live cd / usb drive being unable to detect the screen resolution. After a scan of available resolutions, 315 worked for booting the live cd /usb drive however, after the install it will only boot without a framebuffer and the command fix-splash will not work. The 2nd issue was the installer would fail when it came time to formatting the hard disk drive. The work around I used was to partition the hard disk drive before I began the installer. The 3rd issue I have is that there is an error message displayed when booting referencing to acerhdf unknown and bios 3207 not being supported. This is after the bios being upgrade from 3206 which also gave the same error. Any help with these issues would greatly be appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

I have this problem as well on my Asus EeePC 1015B with AMD's Fusion.

Helping to bump this thread up to get any ideas or help. :l

Just burned his ISO

Hey there. I have an Acer Aspire One 522-C5Dkk C-50 and couldn't get past the coloured "whitenoise" screen on boot.

Solution: If you press tab at the grub, before you choose your boot option, then append "radeon.modeset=0" onto the end of the line, it goes on to boot into BT5.

Kudos to AD for pointing me to this reference: Errata Security: dm1z and MacBook Air: a quick pre-review

Quote Originally Posted by futex View Post
    Hello, i have the same netbook, any 64 bit version of backtrack can't boot, i have white screen of the dead. But i have installed 32 bits gnome version successfully, at the grub prompt select boot which no DRM or set a te kernel line option -nomodest.

good luck
    Thanks futex,
    So instead of just using my VM as I have been doing for the last few months, I'll give your solution a try as I would love to get this working. I'll let you guys know soon.

Thankyou very much smaapti, this has fixed my issue! I will now proceed to partition/install on my local machine, install the drivers
    located here guys (FYI this one's x86)
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English
    wifi not natively supported, dm1z has a ralink chipset for its wifi, so airmon should work with it soon!