Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: usb boot stuck at wallpaper screen (right before login)

Default Re: usb boot stuck at wallpaper screen (right before login)

I'm having same issue... i just tried making the persistent usb and it hangs on the splash screen. I'll keep playing around with it

With a live dvd that i burned the screen goes blank but when i type startx is fires up... this method doesn't work with the usb i just made.

Just burned his ISO

Well, I have tried to make a persistent Backtrack 5 boot USB several times and it never works

Details ~ I have used Unebootin, Lili and Universal USB installer from a Windows environment and made both 32 and 64bit KDE versions on two separate 8GB sticks.

The persistence never works. I have tried allocating different size to the persistence, the USB is reported as made properly but when I try to boot, After selecting persistent from the Backtrack boot menu, it gets to the splash screen and stops. I have left it for a couple of hours a couple of times, but it never boots. I tried to type in the root and toor and startx blind but that doesn't work either. Ctrl-alt+f1/f2 sometimes switches the splash to a black screen ... sometimes nothing happens. I have to force a reboot.

Also worth a note is that if it is a persistent 64 KDE it won't boot in any other mode either, but the 32 KDE will boot into all the others except persistence.

The only way to get a viable working 64 KDE is to make one without the persistence option.

Hello,
    I am also a beginner to Backtrack and Linux..i also faced this black screen issue several times i tried to install..i think it might be an issue with Nvidia/ATI/Intel drivers..my case it was AMD HD6850 graphics card..
    To resolve this, i did the following steps..
    1. In BIOS, set the primary graphics adpater as PCI-E and enable On-Board VGA
    2. Reboot PC
    3. you will not see the black screen now..login with root/toor and and type startx
    4. install ATI/Nvidia drivers as per http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...t_calpp-|.html
    5. reboot PC

I hope it helps..it worked for me..
    Last edited by neovin; 08-12-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling error..replaced boot with black..

Just burned his ISO

HERES A TRICK THAT WORKED FOR ME.

Current OS: BT5 R2
    Computer:Acer Aspire 3680 with Atheros Chipset

Hold down Ctrl+Alt+End, Wait until it gets to the backtrack Gui screen, then enter startx.

This is a temporary fix for your issue and should atleast get you into the operating system.

Just burned their ISO

I signed up just to share this with you.

I was stuck at the loading screen(BT5 wallpaper) and saw in this thread that someone said he entered the commands and it worked.
    I did the same, entered username <enter>, entered password <enter> and finally entered startx <enter>.
    Then it wend black en proceded to show me the usual login screen where I repeated above and it continued to boot normally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12