Thread: VirtualBox USB-WLAN Error

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question VirtualBox USB-WLAN Error

Hi there.
    I'm currently having a problem with using BackTrack 4 in my Virtual Machine (Sun VirtualBox Version 3.1.2 r56127), where my Host-OS is Windows XP (32 Bit).
    I'm trying to get my USB-WLAN-Adapter (ZD1211) to work.
    When I boot from Backtrack 4 Live-DVD, then the stick will automatically be recognized and will work.
    But now I installed Backtrack into my VirtualBox and there the problems begin:
    First I have to bring the normal eth0-adapter manually UP ("ifconfig eth0 up") to gain access to my network and internet.
    After that, I updatedd Backtrack via aptget update and apt-get upgrade. I rebooted.
    Then again I'm bringing UP my eth0.
    But then I'm trying the same with my usb WLAN0. It's down by default so I'm trying "ifconfig wlan0 up" and I get the following error-message after about 2 secounds:

Code:
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Connection timed out
    I told the VirtualBox to let the VM handle this USB-Device from outside and this works. My Host-Windows-XP doesn't recognize the ZD1211, while the VM is running and all the specification are shown with "ifconfig wlan0" and also "iwconfig wlan0".

But with this error appearing I can't bring up my ZD1211-Device.

I also updated my VirtualBox (to the version mentioned above), but the error still remains.

I really hope you can help me.

Best wishes
    spYro

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: VirtualBox USB-WLAN Error

This might be an issue with the lack of firmware included in bt4 final.

You can't share the device on both windows xp and linux when your running virtualisation unless you wanted to bridge the connection, etc. By bridging the connection, the guest OS will not have complete access to the USB device.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    This might be an issue with the lack of firmware included in bt4 final.

You can't share the device on both windows xp and linux when your running virtualisation unless you wanted to bridge the connection, etc. By bridging the connection, the guest OS will not have complete access to the USB device.
    Well... I am not sharing the device.
    As I said before, when I'm starting the VM with Backtrack, the device disappears from Windows and Windows has no access to it.
    I have 2 WLAN-Adapters on my laptop.
    One is an integrated WLAN-Chip. I'm using this device for normal Internet-Access at home and so on...
    The other is a seperate ZD1211-WLAN-USB-Device I bought at ebay 2 years ago, just because it should work perfectly with Backtrack. And it worked very good so far. I cracked one WEP and one WPA-Network with it.
    But i did this with the live-DVD and with the time i wanted to jump the parameter-input and try some gui-tools. Backtrack 4 was just released so I downloaded it and installed it into my vm (so i can work with my windows AND let the crackers run).
    But now this error appears.
    I'm not forwarding or bridging the WLAN-Device. This would be very stupid, because then i only have a new eth-Device in Backtrack, which of course doesn't work with "iwconfig" and all the other wlan-commands.
    The programms need a wireless device, too.
    So i did not bridged the device, I included this usb-device into the VirtualBox and let backtrack handle it.

So it could be some driver-problem with this special usb-device, that is connected through the VirtualBox ?

Need some help x_X

Thanks for every answer

spYro

Just burned his ISO

I have the same problem.
    I am using the latest BT4 R2 with virtualbox.

lsusb:
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:705c Belkin Components F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v4000 [Zydas ZD1211B]
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

iwconfig:
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"-on"
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff

nfig wlan0 up