Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backtrack 5 won't let me boot into my windows 7 --WTF--

Just burned his ISO

Default backtrack 5 won't let me boot into my windows 7 --WTF--

so i love backtrack i literally love it ... but i still love windows too
    so there was a way yo dual boot between backtrack and windows 7 in the same HD in the same partition or whatever .. anyway after installing backtrack 5 the HOW TO section in here Dual Boot , tole me that i will get this kind of options when i try to open an operating system

but hell i didn't get anything of what it said ... well i was like ok thats not a problem i will solve it i mean who can't right --- ooh yeah i love my self and i thought my self is a genus heheh until i got this problem then i knew that i am a zero heheh ..
    anyway .. i searched in google for a solution i literally did but the only solution i got is how dumbass is me cause its either no solved this problem or its me who doesn't get how to solve it ... they were saying something about grub's menu.lst and editing it but there were no menu.lst in my boot/grub folder .. i tried to add one but it didn't work i installed an app called gparted and the app showed me that my windows 7 still there and the partition didn't get deleted or something ... and yes i tried to put the system recovery disk and repairing windows 7 but it gives me an error ..
    anyway plz folks of backtrack those who has experience tell me what to do i am dying here its been like a week since i got this problem ....
    yeah i am new in backtrack i only know a little bit ...
    and excuse my english ... i know i suck .

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: backtrack 5 won't let me boot into my windows 7 --WTF--

Just burned his ISO

You most likely did the default option for placing the boot loader and installed it ontop of the Windows bootloader (windows partition)

Win7 has decent recovery tools
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

What exactly are the error messages when repairing Windows 7?

What did you do when you booted to the Windows 7 disk? Any commands? - Maybe you need to try fixmbr?

P.S. You don't have to center the text

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

It looks like that is a standard inclusion, I have that too on my dual boot and I sont have Vista installed, only XP..

There is a good possibility that you have overwritten windows.

Can you see the other partitions on backtrack ?

i installed an app called gparted and the app showed me that my windows 7 still there and the partition didn't get deleted or something
    I think he's still got his Windows partition

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

I should learn to read

Sry 'bout that

Just burned his ISO

hey guys i have a question ... if i accidentally tried to mount the windows 7 partition in my backtrack and it told me something like u have to have a file system in the partition so i went to google and searched how to put a file system or something in the partition and i found a way and i made a file system in the partition .. then i mounted the partition in desktop .. then i entered to the partition and THE **BLEEP** Files weren't there T.T ... anyway i went to the gparted app and the file system type or something or whatever changed from NTFS to ext3 ---- F my life and F my pc at first i lost my files in my phone then in my PC ... someone kills me plz T.T --- sorry if that was too dramatic lol

anyway after that i went to the grub.cfg file in boot/grub/grub.cfg and edited the booting ... finally i got a list of OS but the disappointing thing is when i try to boot to my windows 7 it tells me signature is false or something .... anyway F wnidows 7 my question here is when the file system changed to ext3 did it delete my files ... i don't know why but i get this feeling that my files are still there ---- or probably i am just dreaming :P

thanks for ur replies Jimmy87 and Tape and good luck with understanding my english
    and dude i have to center the text i can't help it i am not used to posting things in forums hehe this is the first time i ask help in my whole life usually if i couldn't solve it by searching in google i move on lol ... and i don't care about the booting thing anymore its just i have important files in my partition ..

P.S i am under ubuntu 11 or something now its an interesting OS much better and much organized than backtrack ..

that was looooooooooooong .....

Just burned his ISO

oooooh maaan i posted something yesterday but its not here ... anyway thanks for ur replies guys .. and yeah the hell with windows 7 .. i give up .. i think my files got deleted cause i accedentally changed the file system of my partition to ext3 i was trying to mount the files in my desktop and someone said u should put a file system or something in the partition then it changed from ntfs to ext3 ..

i hope i didn't post it twice or something ...
    anyway .. thanks again i am just gonna go watch a movie now and the hell with windows 7 .

the problem is that you have too many partitions on your hd windows can only recognize about 4, delete your bt5 partition run windows recovery command bootrec /fixmbr, once win is loaded delete your recovery partition and then go through the dual-boot sequence and everything will be smooth
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast