Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is better, BT4 or BT5?

Default Re: 回复: Which is better, BT4 or BT5?

Only skid stains need all of those raggedy tools anyhow. was the way it was phrased. I guesse us beginners are the skidstains. The tools were raggedy!

I was only trying to help someone in the beginers section. I guesse wep is a bad word. lol

Default Re: Which is better, BT4 or BT5?

sostentado you didnt say which one you like and why!

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

beginners aren't skid stains its really a comment towards some users of backtrack who do not know how the tools work and don't want to, they just want point and click tools and aren't certified pentesters. But when you use those tools you don't learn anything.
    as far as the topic at hand goes, better install bt5, the devs here will patch any problems with it after release, and bt4r2 will become unsupported and speaking of it will be verboten here.
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

It's BT4. I'm not a certified pentester nor quote&quote point-click user, but i found bt4 a lot easier to use that as of bt5. Of course bt5 has more patches than previous versions, but it also have some technical errors that bt4 doesn't have. Ettercap-ng in bt5 can't capture passwords even you've done prerequisites procedures before proceeding to poisoning (which is, ettercap is very useful for MITM). That's one example.

Just burned his ISO

Post Re: Which is better, BT4 or BT5?

First: Why sslstrip+ettercap don't work normal in BT5?
    but in BT4 ,ettercap could sniff passwords and display them.

Second: BT5 need much more disk space than BT4,it would be better if it smaller than now.I hope I could install BT5 in 4GB USB DRIVER in the future.

Define "better"....

• Smaller
    • More skriddie friendly
    • Faster
    • More diverse HW support
    • More OS/interface options
    • More software
    • Less software
    • Actively supported
    • etc

"Better" means so many different things to so many different people...

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...4-support.html Thread.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

I'd say BT5 has potential to be better than BT4, if (hopefully) the developers fix some of the current issues. For me a big improvement is that my graphics card now actually works in the resolution it's supposed to, I couldn't use BT4 because even the terminal looked very ugly because my monitor had the wrong resolution.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

BT4 is already proven, bugs fixed and almost 100% running like a charm..BT5 is under test..Has lots of troubles..Will be fixed, but off course, BT5 is based in FS etx4, is much faster than ext3 and supposly more secure...Remeber something, your are using programs that you can download and install in your OS whether is Linux debian, ubuntu or any Red Hat distribution...Per say, perhaps those programs can run fine in Ubuntu 9.04 but can have some problems in Karmic..
    So you have to tune-up the app (sslstrip, ettercap, msf, etc..)
    If I were you, I'd download a stable, final release of BT, in this case, BT4 final...I found some strange things in BT4 r2....And BT5, well, at this point, just read the forum posts..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12