Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get my WIFI to work,

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't get my WIFI to work,

hi everyone, im newbie in linux and in backtrack in particulre.

I've installed the BT5 on VMware and i cant get my WIFI card to work.
    The WIFI card is dynamode with realtek chipset.
    BT5 findes the card and the chipset as well, but when I try to scan for wireless networks around me, I can't find any one.

When I disconnect the card from the VMware and install him in my Laptop, I can see the wireless networks that are around me.
    The main OS is Win7 ultimate 64bit.

Thanks.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

Default Re: Can't get my WIFI to work,

is this in integrated card? vmware can only manage USB wifi cards, if you just want to use the wifi to connect to a network and not use airodump-ng, you can connect with the host OS and just use bridged mode.
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

hi everyone, im newbie in linux and in backtrack in particulre.

I've installed the BT5 on VMware and i cant get my WIFI card to work.
    The WIFI card is dynamode with realtek chipset.
    BT5 findes the card and the chipset as well, but when I try to scan for wireless networks around me, I can't find any one.

When I disconnect the card from the VMware and install him in my Laptop, I can see the wireless networks that are around me.
    The main OS is Win7 ultimate 64bit.
    Jumping straight into "deep water" of Backtrack without the prior basic knowledge of linux is just like trying to solve ODE without knowing what integral and derivative are.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

You may not have a wireless card that supports monitor mode or packet injection out-of-the-box on BT5. Run airmon-ng start [whatever iwconfig says is your wireless device] to see if your wireless card will go into monitor mode. Assuming it goes into monitor mode, run aireplay-ng –test mon0 to see if your card will do packet injection. If you plan to do a lot with wireless, get a good wireless card. Check here for some suggestions.

Just burned his ISO

Does VirtualBox also need a usb wireless card to work?

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

According to balding parrot's post it seems like all the the virtualization software needs to have complete control over a network interface to use it, So barring a harddrive or live unetbootin install your are going to need to go USB. Just make sure if you go this route that you get a USB nic that is fully compatible with Backtrack, and save yourself a ton of crap.
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhead90 View Post
    Does VirtualBox also need a usb wireless card to work?
    Yes, becouse it's all about virtualization.

You can dual-boot BackTrack, everything'll be okay

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Are you running with Live cd?..If so, you first have to run the networking services or wickcd...Then scan for networks...Be sure your network card is supported by BT5..If it has a realtek chipset, refer as to what realtek chipsets are supported, because not all are supported...One I'm sure is the rtl8187L...If you are running from hard Drive installation, perhaps your networking card is not supported (chipset)...
    Type lsusb (if network card is USB) and then type lsmod (to see what modules are loaded, look for rtlxxxx)..
    Best of lucks...

Just burned his ISO

Hello Sirs! i'm also new in both Linux and backtrack. I too is also experiencing difficulty with the wireless card. but i read that you will still need a usb wireless network card for you to use the wifi in BT5 in VMware. Because when I try to check the interface using airmon-ng comman, it just shows blank interface, chipset and driver. does it mean that the BT5 on VMware cannot use the default wifi card of my laptop? I hope you can help. Sorry for my ignorance. I'm really just a beginner.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by th3ic3man0 View Post
    Hello Sirs! i'm also new in both Linux and backtrack. I too is also experiencing difficulty with the wireless card. but i read that you will still need a usb wireless network card for you to use the wifi in BT5 in VMware. Because when I try to check the interface using airmon-ng comman, it just shows blank interface, chipset and driver. does it mean that the BT5 on VMware cannot use the default wifi card of my laptop? I hope you can help. Sorry for my ignorance. I'm really just a beginner.
    Hi..Sorry for delay...Well, first you need to know if your wifi card has been recognized and the network services have been started...Once started, you can check if you see your card...
    If you had dual-boot installation, network services would have been started auto...
    But in your case you have to check..
    starting network services:
    xxx@bt>/etc/init.d/networking start (if you use Networking Manager, wich is not used in BT5)
    xxx@bt>/etc/init.d/wicd start (if you use Networking Manager, used by BT5)
    Once you start the networking services, check your interfaces:
    xxx@bt>ifconfig
    If it is not there yet, check the pci's and usb Modules, depending the type of wifi card you are using (internal = pci, external = usb):
    xxx@bt>lspci | grep Network (Internal wifi card, pci) (lspci means to "LS list PCI pci = lspci)
    xxx@bt>lsusb (list all USB) Look up if you see your usb wifi card..
    You can also check the driver and see if it has been loaded:
    xxx@bt>lsmod | grep ieee80211 (if it uses ieee80211 stack) But trt this option first
    xxx@bt>lsmod | grep mac80211 (if it uses mac80211 stack) Then try this one.
    If you want to see all modules loaded, and look up the ieee80211 or mac80211: xx@bt>lsmod

This way you can see what is going on with your wifi card...If neither the module nor the interfaces are present, your wifi card (usb or pci) might not be supported.

Try to figure out what is going on using those commands and try to work it out..Please, keep in mind one thing:
    BT5 is a kind of "modded OS based in Debian with kernel 2.6.xx", the aircrack-ng suite is that, a suite..The aircrack-ng has its own homepage and you can
    find all about troubleshooting, techniques, drivers, wifi cards compatibility, etc.
    It is like winbugs, it is an OS, but if you want to install, per say, the Adobe suite, you can do it...You can install aircrack-ng in Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, slax, etc.
    BT5 gives you a bunch of drivers "modded" or to say it more correctly, "Patched", to be able to do 2 things in aircrack:
    Place the wifi card in Monitor Mode and being able to inject traffic..If driver is not patched, you will never be able to use the suite as intended. Also in the aircrack page you can download the Patch and apply it to you wifi card, and compile it yourself with the kernel, as long as wifi card is supported..This is the advantage BT5 gives you among others, drivers patched to use them with the aircrack suite. You save a lot of time and headaches..
    Hope this hepls you and can clarify the whole picture.
    Best of luck...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast