Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootsplash, How do I change it?

Just burned his ISO

Post Bootsplash, How do I change it?

Hi I'm new here,
    but I'm not perticually new to linux I've tried to change the bootsplash on my BackTrack 2 Distro but every time I follow the bootsplash.org method it doesn't seem to work it either keeps with the normal bt2 bootsplash or it just doesn't show at all

Can anyone help me.

Thanx in advance
    From Ruuku-kun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruuku-kun View Post
    Hi I'm new here,
    but I'm not perticually new to linux I've tried to change the bootsplash on my BackTrack 2 Distro but every time I follow the bootsplash.org method it doesn't seem to work it either keeps with the normal bt2 bootsplash or it just doesn't show at all

Can anyone help me.

Thanx in advance
    From Ruuku-kun.
    Search my friend. The answer is there.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Default ...Searched Threads

I've searched the threads but I didn't find excatly what I was looking for, but I managed to find how to change the first boot splash, but I need to change the second one where bt loads all the modules and network kit, stuff lol
    Please can somebody help thanx

From Ruuku-kun

Just burned his ISO

Default Funny, I was looking for the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Search my friend. The answer is there.
    After "searching" BT forums I gave up... did an ordinary google... and got these 2 from gentoo. I believe it to at least explain what is involved. If BT's forums have a similar page... well google nor BT's forum search didn't have an obvious link to it. Gentoo's wiki does explain that grub's bootsplash and the kernel's bootsplash are indeed different. And also how the original bootsplash is deprecated, to fbsplash. I believe the question was how to change things concerning the kernel bootsplash in BT.

Funny name for it really, I see it more as a viewport with 2 background images... where you have first a screen sized background image, and a reduced 'viewport' that contains all kernel boot messages. Me, I love this feature. I'll update this post as I discover more on it.

These articles should give interested people some search terms to pursue the matter further.

h$$p://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Framebuffer:Bootsplash:Grubsplash

h$$p://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash

regards
    john

Just burned his ISO

I have a long tale to tell here, but no time for it this morning... Initially I liked BT2 so much I put it on my desktop pc. Then after trying to do things I could not... I eventually put BT2's progenitor Slackware 12 on another partition. I have tried a few linux distros out, and I gotta say Slackware is one solid distro. Everything I've wanted to do, so far, I have been able to do. As a test, try building garnome or getting the latest hal from git and building it... stuff just works like it's supposed to. Well to be honest, I did have to add a couple of things to do each one of those, as Slackware does not do gnome. Things like 'cpan' and then in perl 'install XML::Simple'... Simple enough to do. I can see why BT2 is based off of Slackware.

Slackware 12 did not have a pretty boot screen, which I have come to expect on anything new. Hey, they have other priorities... which I respect. I decided to see if I could crack this issue myself. After an intense day of learning about gensplash... I decided to apply the gensplash patch to my kernel which is the vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel and do they deed. Well the patch almost applied cleanly. So I decided to look at the patch rejects and hand edited the intended files with the intended code. Easy enough. Now once I was done, I could go to the top of the tree and "make menuconfig" and after figuring out which video options included in my .config were hostile to gensplash(ie S3 video bitblotting was selected) I could select:
    Device Drivers->Graphics support->Support for the framebuffer splash
    and rebuild the standard Slackware kernel. I did so. Next I had to rebuild the initrd with a merged initramfs from both slackware and gensplash, and adjust the bootup menu to use gensplash with a long string of options... but in the end I rebooted and was pleased with a nice modern terminal showing me linux boot messages. I intend to post a howto somewhere, for Slackware.

I still do not understand why:
    "zcat splash.initrd | cpio --list"
    returns
    gzip: splash.initrd: not in gzip format

as possibly BT2 compiled in the gensplash to the kernel or something.
    Ok so expect a howto guide to get a nice bootscreen in Slackware somewhere soon with a patch that applies cleanly to Slackware 12. I still have BT2 on the Desktop's drive, and of course all of my laptops, but since it's based on Slackware 11 I definitely enjoy Slackware 12.

Now maybe I can post url's on this site, as I think this is my 15th post. Somebody should round up 15 of the top spammers in the world and just shoot em.

Just burned his ISO

i've also been messing around with changing the bootsplash and have found no way to mange.
    i've changed files all over the place and such and to no effect.

anyone actually managed this yet?

Just burned his ISO

Default A major Quest... started out innocent enough... :)

Quote Originally Posted by only_samurai View Post
    i've also been messing around with changing the bootsplash and have found no way to mange.
    i've changed files all over the place and such and to no effect.

anyone actually managed this yet?
    Well after spending about 5 days in a crash course on gentoo... I learned enough about splash screens to know I wanted one... and I have a new gentoo partition I use every day. google gensplash + spock and you will get directed to the areas involved.

Gentoo is worth every bit of hardship I had to endure to get it installed.

Just burned his ISO

I am not sure... as I have done nothing to verify this... but I would be willing to bet that the splash screen is actually compiled into the kernel. The splash.initrd is probably mostly just the ramfs. I will take a look again to confirm my suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrw View Post
    I am not sure... as I have done nothing to verify this... but I would be willing to bet that the splash screen is actually compiled into the kernel.
    Yes, I think you can find it in /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/ (The kernel build process picks it up from there).. I´m having currently a slax logo, lost the original in the "process". But hell, I can keep my eyes shut while booting
    ExitOnly@

-----------------------------------------------------
    Learn to live, but live to learn, eh?

Just burned his ISO

LoL... isn't the gensplash usually kept in /usr/src/linux/usr ? I know the initramfs files are kept there and I think when building splash images into the kernel, you put some image files there too.

I decided not to build into the kernel so that's why I am unsure. I did check the images on this gentoo box, and the files stored where you point to, are just the linux penguin logo, again, just on my box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast