Thread: I need some help please.

Just burned his ISO

Default I need some help please.

Lately, my net has become slow and such and there are always ip conflicts, being that I am a complete noob and my wireless router didn't even have a WEP key till recently, I've decided to test how strong my network stuff is. (I saw the potential of hackers getting into others net and it alarmed me!)

I've already downloaded BT2, but I don't know how to run it. I tried to click "bootinst.bat" but it said something like "Windows will not boot anymore" if you do something wrong and "Be Careful!" Since, I don't want my comp to mess up, I was to frightened to proceed.

Anyways, my first question is, does BT2 even run on windows?
    And is there a guide for a step by step (literally) guide to this for windows?
    I tried looking for guides, but I didn't understand like big portions or it.

So if anyone can help me get started, I would greatly appreciate it.
    In the meantime, I'm going to go try and set up a WPA key without causing other computers in my network to lost internet.

I think the only way BT runs in windows is on a virtual machine but can be booted from cd, hdd,usb. your slow internet speed could be caused by many things.
    download this http://www.atribune.org/public-beta/ATF-Cleaner.exe
    Under Main choose Select All, then Click the Empty Selected button.

then make a new system restore point and then download this.
    http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
    update it but dont run it yet.
    reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears.
    use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.
    once your in windows dont start any other program besides AVG. start the scan and wait for that to finish.
    there also another little prog here you can try
    http://dw.com.com/redir?pid=10680864...-10680864.html just install and run.

ip conflict,
    Start/Control Panel/Switch to Classic View/Network Connections
    right click on (local Area Connection) and choose properties.
    on the general Tab you'l need to click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then properties.
    when a new window pops up make sure these two are ticked.
    Obtain an IP address automartically
    Obtain DNS server address automatically.
    that might help with the conflict.

Theres other things you can do to get things running smooth but my post is getting long and i dont wanna bore you too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyscythe View Post
    Lately, my net has become slow and such and there are always ip conflicts, being that I am a complete noob and my wireless router didn't even have a WEP key till recently, I've decided to test how strong my network stuff is. (I saw the potential of hackers getting into others net and it alarmed me!)

I've already downloaded BT2, but I don't know how to run it. I tried to click "bootinst.bat" but it said something like "Windows will not boot anymore" if you do something wrong and "Be Careful!" Since, I don't want my comp to mess up, I was to frightened to proceed.

Anyways, my first question is, does BT2 even run on windows?
    And is there a guide for a step by step (literally) guide to this for windows?
    I tried looking for guides, but I didn't understand like big portions or it.

So if anyone can help me get started, I would greatly appreciate it.
    In the meantime, I'm going to go try and set up a WPA key without causing other computers in my network to lost internet.
    First of all, BT2 is a live CD. So reboot your computer with the CD in.

And yes, it will work under Windows, using VMware. Create a new virtual machine and set it to boot from the CD drive, then power on the virtual machine.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the advice guys. However, is there anyway to check if unwanted users are on my net because I don't want other people to have my credit card number, social insurance number, etc., since I do have to type those out occasionally.

Yes.. Log on to your web interface, check the ip tables.

Check the associated MACs with the MACs of your computer...

Most likely though you have Spyware. If someones on your system to get your info, oddsare you can't stop them.
    Just change to a long unique WPA, change it every other month if your really worried, and don't worry about it.

Replace the wireless router with cables. Safest bet. Wireless is insecure by nature, so if you are not familiar with basic security topics, I wouldn't want to tele-guide you only to have a half-baked result. Honestly. I'm not kidding.

Regards,

Mother
    In God we trust, all others we monitor