Thread: Printer install problems

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Printer install problems

I am running BT5 Gnome-32bit. I tried installing the hplip-3.11.5 from the HP site. The package I chose was the one based on Ubuntu 10.04. After following the instructions on the HP site, I still don't have a working printer. Should I choose the strait Debian file instead? Not sure what path I should take to get this working.

Default Respuesta: Printer install problems

Hello,
    About 3 months ago I had to deploy a printer under Ubuntu. Sorry, because I cant remenber exactly what driver I had downloaded, and i didn`t write the procedure i foolowed, but I can remenber that the available driver for the hp model that was in the repo didn`t work for the printer. What I can remenber I had done was download other version of driver hplip and install it. Everything is at google. You`ll have to search a little, but you`ll find a ftp wich serves various versions.

Just burned his ISO

Everything I can find on the problem says use a driver newer than hplip-3.10.2. I have installed hplip-3.11.5 and all the supporting files it says I need. Anyone have any ideas? I am at a loss. I don't know if I should treat this distro as Ubuntu 10.04 or BT5 in regards to this situation. I don't know what has been changed between the two. I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed on another partition and the printer works fine there. Lol, this is the last problem I need to resolve before I no longer need my Ubuntu distro. I got nVidia, pyrit, compiz-fusion, ciarodock, openoffice, movie player and XMMS to work fine. I just need to be able to print and I'll have a complete system. (well, still need Win 7 for blu-ray and itunes).

Well, I seem to have found the root of the problem. I can't install a HP printer as root. New problem: I create a new user account without root privileges. The HP installer asks for my admin password to install, then says my account cannot connect to the internet to download the required file. But, laughably I am connected to the internet.
    Every problem has a solution. But each solution presents a new problem to be solved first.

Does anyone know a way to modify the HP Device Manager so it can install a printer as root? This is getting just plain silly.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 05-22-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Default Respuesta: Printer install problems

Ok donīt desperate :-)
    Itīs true, hplip have a dialog that warn you about install non root mode. Exactly, I had same trouble as you, one step of the installation wizard said me cant connect to retrieve some ...digital signature or something ...donīt sure. If you installed one driver, you need to remove all about last driver to install another. Try that. I think that is the solution if the driver is the good driver.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Printer install problems

We do not support adding users to BT. I would suggest you get a better suited base platform such as ubuntu if you want/need users.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.