Thread: Running backtrack without BIOS access?

Just burned his ISO

Default Running backtrack without BIOS access?

Hello
    I would like to run backtrack on my laptop (HP probook 4330s) but the bios (custom HP bios) is protected with a password. I tried opening the computer to reset the password, but some parts of the computer have plastic covers glued on to protect the components. I do have win 7 with admin priveliges, and i do have access to the parts of the computer thats not covered in glue (HDD, bd/cdrom). What is the easiest way to run/install backtrack on this computer? A virtual installation does afaik not work very well with internal wifi cards, and i need a wifi card that can be put in monitor mode to do what i would like to do.

Default Re: Running backtrack without BIOS access?

Well, there's a trick for that, using a virtual BIOS. I wrote a tutorial a while back on how to install BT on the HDD trough virtualization software. The tutorial was written for BT4, but it should be relatively easy to adapt to BT5. Here are the links:
    Howto: Install BT4 Dual Boot using VMWare Workstation
    Guide: Installing BT4 to HDD using VirtualBox

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Well if it is your laptop then you should have access to any and all passwords on the system. Otherwise this seems a bit fishy. I haven't heard of a manufacturer setting a password that is not also given to the end-user/ owner of the device. I would suggest you contact HP and or check the documentation.
    As it stands there is not much else we can do in regards.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

On all the HPs I've used in recent history there is a hotkey you can use a boot up to select your boot device without going into or making changes to the BIOS.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

I also have an HP laptop. There is a hotkey to enter a boot device menu (F9), however, I have BIOS security (password or fingerprint) enabled which will not let you into anything without successfully passing through BIOS security. So if you don't know the BIOS password or don't have an enrolled fingerprint, you are effectively locked out of the machine.

Vaffelspsier would like access to his laptop's wireless network card in monitor mode and I do not believe using Snayler's suggestion of virtualization would accomplish this goal unless a usb wireless adapter were obtained by vaffelspsier. Without adding additional hardware, I believe vaffelspsier's options are run from removable Boot device (CD, usb, etc) or configure a dual boot setup, both of which will require BIOS access (please correct if I am wrong).

I agree with Archangel-Amael in that is seems fishy you do not have access to your own BIOS, vaffelspsier. If it is your property, and you have access to the RTC battery (not sure if it will work with your model HP), you can follow something like this **AT YOUR OWN RISK** http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...0w/td-p/927153 . You can reset the BIOS password and gain full access to your computer.

If that doesn't work, you mentioned you have admin rights in the O/S - perhaps you can flash a new BIOS? I've heard in some HP's you will need to replace the TPM chip, however.

Or you can always contact HP support...Good luck!

EDIT: cryptome.org has released a pdf that outlines many ways to overcome BIOS passwords. Original source was from AntiSec dump of Nov 18, 2011
    http://cryptome.org/isp-spy/bios-spy.pdf
    http://cryptome.org/isp-spy/bios-spy.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hstk2z View Post
    Vaffelspsier would like access to his laptop's wireless network card in monitor mode and I do not believe using Snayler's suggestion of virtualization would accomplish this goal unless a usb wireless adapter were obtained by vaffelspsier.
    I believe you misread what I wrote. I wasn't talking about creating a virtual machine, I was talking about giving VMWare/VirtualBox access to the physical disks and install BT5 to the physical HDD, meaning that he would be using VMWare's/VirtualBox's vBIOS (virtual BIOS) instead of the laptop's BIOS. So, after installing it with VMW/VB, he would only have to reboot his system and grub would magically appear (assuming all went well with the installation, of course).