Thread: [Missing] NetworkManager

Default [Missing] NetworkManager

[s]Hello everybody. A couple of hours ago I downloaded BT4 and tested on my desktop (wired connection). Everything worked fine, even the Internet. Now, I tried testing on my laptop, and I wanted to connect to the wireless so I can test Airpwn but I coudn't find any network manager, except "Wicd Network Manager" which does... absolutly nothing when I click it. I searched on google and I found out that many people had the same problem. [Remote Exploit Forums]

I tried doing what they said
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    but I had: No such file or directory on the NetworkManager part. I went to /etc/ini.d/ and done ls -l *network* just in case I made a typo or something like that, but only networking was found. Then, I went back to the home dir and typed in NetworkManager and said NetworkManager is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: apt-get install network-manager.

Anyway, I wired my laptop, downloaded NM (Network Manager) and wireless worked. The whole point is -- make network-manager installed by default.

Thanks for taking time![/s]

EDIT:
    Well, I thought it would be as easy as BT3, but after I searched a lil but more, I found out how to do it ^ ^ Sorry!
    Last edited by WAR10CK; 01-29-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: My fault, problem solved

Default Re: [Missing] NetworkManager

Wicd Network Manager works for me well, but if you want you can install NetworkManager "apt-get install network-manager"
    Last edited by halfdone; 01-31-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Just burned his ISO

i was having same problem when i install bt3 to hdd. I realized that is not about to starting network service, wicd's default installation didnt work for me - i m not sure maybe there was a problem- i reinstalled wicd with my wired connection and it worked perfectly.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnsauce View Post
    i was having same problem when i install bt3 to hdd. I realized that is not about to starting network service, wicd's default installation didnt work for me - i m not sure maybe there was a problem- i reinstalled wicd with my wired connection and it worked perfectly.
    wicd is the default manager and there is a thread on getting networking started. Furthermore bt3 is not supported here.

I have a similar problem were Wicd network manager does not pop up when clicked on.

The way I do it is start networking with: "/etc/init.d/networking start" (I also have to press the hot key to turn on/off wifi 2-4 times before I start networking)
    then I have to view the config file for Wicd with: cat /etc/resolv.conf
    then I start Wicd in the konsole with: /etc/init.d/wicd start
    finally I go to start > internet > Wicd Network manager and it works

If I do ever find a fix I will post it up.

BTW this is all after I followed the how to on staring networking.

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted_Soldier View Post
    If I do ever find a fix I will post it up.
    To automatically start wicd every boot type "update-rc.d wicd defaults". Is this the "fix" you are looking for?

Just burned his ISO

Default easyer way

idon't know but i have the same problem i just search wicd network manager in the search thing on the panel (by the kmenu) and then run it from kmenu>internet>wicd network manger

Just burned his ISO

works with

wicd-client