Thread: Mac OS X doesn't boot up

Just burned his ISO

Default Mac OS X doesn't boot up

Hey there.... I'm in tears now...

I have a 13'' MacBook Pro, with Mac OS X Snow Leopard on it. I downloaded BT5, KDE version, 64-bit. I installed it on my MBP, but at the end of the installation, it gives me a "bootloader installation failed". I did some research and decided to use the "continue without installing bootloader" option, so I could later on install it manually.
    So, I restart the machine in order to go to OS X, and guess what? It doesn't boot up! It just doesn't boot up. I don't get the apple logo in the middle... If I press alt (option key, to select OSs in dual boots), I only get an option called... guess what... WINDOWS! Which is the BT5 partition, which doesn't boot up at all.

Now I'm stuck using only the BT5 Live DVD.

Oh, by the way, I can still see all of my files from the OS X partition while in the File Manager in BT5, I just can't boot. Seems like it's a bootloader issue...

Please, could someone give me a hand? I'm desperate..

Cheers...

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Mac OS X doesn't boot up

Can you boot to your Snow Leopard disk and do a disk repair? I think you might also be able to reinstall your MAC bootloader from there. I hope you backed up your MBP.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Mac OS X doesn't boot up

Quote Originally Posted by ramzhh View Post
    Hey there.... I'm in tears now...

I have a 13'' MacBook Pro, with Mac OS X Snow Leopard on it. I downloaded BT5, KDE version, 64-bit. I installed it on my MBP, but at the end of the installation, it gives me a "bootloader installation failed". I did some research and decided to use the "continue without installing bootloader" option, so I could later on install it manually.
    So, I restart the machine in order to go to OS X, and guess what? It doesn't boot up! It just doesn't boot up. I don't get the apple logo in the middle... If I press alt (option key, to select OSs in dual boots), I only get an option called... guess what... WINDOWS! Which is the BT5 partition, which doesn't boot up at all.

Now I'm stuck using only the BT5 Live DVD.

Oh, by the way, I can still see all of my files from the OS X partition while in the File Manager in BT5, I just can't boot. Seems like it's a bootloader issue...

Please, could someone give me a hand? I'm desperate..

Cheers...
    Yeah, if you install BT straight over the top it wipes out the bootloader and pretty much screws with macs. If you can boot from the OSX install disc, let it load and go to utilities->startup disk and reselect your original mac osx partition. This should let you boot back into mac.

If you want to dual boot and keep it all stable and working, install rEFIt. Thats what I used and it worked no problems whatsoever. Now when my mac boots I just select linux (BT) or Mac (OSX) and away it goes.