Thread: Unetbootin can't see my usb drive

Just burned his ISO

Default Unetbootin can't see my usb drive

For some reason, Unetbootin cannot see my external hard drive. The computer sees it and lets me in but Unetbootin does not. I have Windows Vista and I have downloaded the iso image 64 bit version r5 1. thanks for the help!
    ps: is there possibly another program I can use in Unetbootin's place?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Unetbootin can't see my usb drive

On BackTrack wiki, it says "Format the USB drive to FAT32", but I don't know why, could that be the reason? Format your HD using FAT32. Also, check your security software, some have auto sandbox unknowing process, you may have turned off notifications. Unetbootin's official website have not mentioned anything about HD, only USBs. I have found alternative "Unetbootin", Universal USB Installer and LinuxLive USB Creator. Hopefully someone come with better seggestion.

this looks relatively straight forward, if not a bit more complex than standard unetbootin usage to create a bootable usb hdd install. http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/une...i/installmodes

USB Drive Install Mode

This install mode uses the supplied iso file to create a bootable Live USB drive, which should behave as though you had burned the iso to a CD. It can also be used on other FAT32-formatted media, such as Secure Digital (SD) cards. While the target drive in this install mode isn't reformatted, the syslinux bootloader is installed to the drive's MBR, hence you should not use it to install to any partition on a hard drive you expect to boot from (in other words, don't force USB Drive install mode to install to C: or Windows won't boot anymore).

Should you wish to make a full, standard install to your hard disk (an install with its own dedicated bootloader and partition), just boot the created Live USB and follow the same procedure that is used if you're installing from a CD.

However, should you wish to make a full, standard (not Live USB) install onto your USB drive rather than onto your hard disk, there's an additional restriction that the drive you wish to launch the installer from should not be the same as the drive you wish to install to, so either use 2 USB drives, or use a single USB drive and follow the procedure described in "Making a full, standard hard disk install from a frugal install" to repartition it. Again, this complex procedure isn't necessary if you're installing from a Live USB to a hard disk, or from a Live USB to another USB drive, only from a Live USB to the same USB drive.

i've never tried this, but it sounds like the easiest way is still to start with a usb pendrive and b|t loaded into RAM on the system. you should be able to perform any needed partition/filesystem changes to the connected USB hdd in gparted before delivering the ISO file to it via Unetbootin. all this mucking around is so much easier when you slap b|t on the hdd as primary OS and run windows/other operating systems inside of a vm or on another box/drive as a sandbox/target, if necessary. clinging to windows primary hdd installs can be mostly just a crutch, and ultimately a potential waste of your valuable time. i still have not seen any credible recommendation that the attacking OS should ever be run in a VM against a target/possibly exploitable Host system with that system exposed to a network or with in/out traffic to the internet.

perhaps this will help you, or perhaps someone will reply back and teach me something new. we're all here to always learn something new.

Just burned his ISO

So, I am running this on a Dell Inspiron 1520. Approx. 4 years old. I am inclined to say that my hardware is not compatible with what I am trying to do. I have gotten rid of the 3tb external HD for the reason that after using Unetbootin, Universal USB Installer and Linux Live USB, the external HD was unbootable. I got a 32gb flash drive and bam, all the USB programs saw it. So I tried this same procedure from Wiki with all different iso images. Ex: KDE 32 Bit, Gnome 64 and 32 bit, KDE 64 Bit. After running Unetbootin and USB live installer I wind up with a very strange screen when I try to boot from the flash drive. The only way to describe this screen is as follows...the screen to select the mode, ie. text mode, stealth mode, etc... comes up. Any mode I select the files start to load. Then, I get a backtrack 5 graphics screen and it appears frozen. If I hit Esc tho it goes into a text screen that shows a sys error: 0 , if I let it sit, the system tries to force BT 5 to start( I have also tried this with BT 4, 5, and 5r1.) It then runs into a screen that can only be described as a "Matrix" looking screen that is runing binary digits down it. On the right hand side of the screen there is a smaller screen that looks as though it is a PiP screen with pixelated text in it. Then the matrix screen stops scrolling and I wind up with a text prompt. The onyl command that works is help. This brings up a list of commands but I am stuck with this screen now and cannot advance from here. The MD5 hash values are identical to the download page on all iso files I have downloaded. I have gone through the process of formatting all the drives I have tried this on as Fat32 previous to the iso install. I have followed the Wiki to the T. I have received the errors of /init: line 3: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found. Any help or wisdom that can be provided will be much appreciated.
    On a side note I also tried to reformat and install Ubuntu 11.04. I can run it in Virtual Box, but I get stuck at a login window when I select "Try Ubuntu without hard drive install". On the bootup from my PC, I get the Ubuntu load screen with the 5 or 6 dots lighting up in order, then I wind up at an error screen just like with BT. I hope it is not my hardware that eneds to be replaced and I can be more specific as to

again, i'm just trying to help you with a specific problem I've not had to deal with. I do have bt5 installed properly on one of my machines which is similar in age. Forgive me, but I'm not going to directly quote you with all the proper formatting.

@"the screen to select the mode, ie. text mode, stealth mode, etc... comes up"

This tells me that the hardware and bios you are using are not so out of date that it is impossible to boot to b|t5 from a usb pendrive/dvd live iso with perhaps a bit of extra work. if even needed, and I do not suspect this is even the case.

@"/init: line 3: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found"

Searching this error will find you some very possible answers. This thread, while more in reference to remaster; has some posts which may possibly apply to your particular problem re: previously having a usb external drive connected making your bootloader very confused and unhappy. link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...549847&page=14

if it was my machine with this problem; i would wipe the hd as cleanly as possible, bootloader and all. rebuild a b|t hd install onto it and get control back over the drive. give b|t the entire hd volume during installation. boot to b|t and then use a partition editor like gparted, if you wish to install another OS in a dual boot configuration using Grub later.

approach it as though you would with a windows machine, where you have lost control over the master boot record. but armed with an entire toolbox; instead of a single monkey wrench called fdisk.
    Last edited by clone; 09-24-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: accidental smiliey

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the help man...I will be giving it a shot later. I am at work now and reading your post has given me inspiration. I am going to do a hard disk install with a partition. Hopefully the problem lies within the usb install and not the hardware. I will let you know how the HD partition install goes. GOTTA BACK UP MY current OS first though or I'm gonna wind up crying in the corner... XD haha

Just burned his ISO

does your usb drive has thje boot