Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions...

Question A few questions...

I actually have a number of problems that I would much appreciate help with. Ok here goes...

1) The age old "is my card compatible question". I have a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Mini PCI-E internal card in my ASUS S96J. I have been able to browse the internet in BT with this card. If im not mistaken it has an AR5006x chipset. Im just wondering if this card will be able to go into monitor mode and do packet injection.

2) I installed back|track 2.0 to my HDD and it is NOTHING like BT2.0 when you boot from the Live CD (interface wise). How do I put it back to the way it is on the Live CD. I guess the most aggrivating thing is not being able to put icons on my desktop.

3) I tried following a guide from these forums about how to update Madwifi drivers using the svn command I believe it was. Of course me not knowing what to do has screwed up my internet connection so I cannot browse the internet anymore.

These are just a few of the problems im having with back|track 2.0. Is there anyway I could contact someone (via AIM, MSN, Yahoo!)who would REALLY be able to help me out and is very knowlegable with linux? This would be very greatly appreciated. I have tried connecting to the #Remote-Exploit IRC channel on Freenode, but I cannot connect. I have tried a number of different times and have yet to be able to join the IRC channel. Thanks for all the wonderful help from the BT community.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifix View Post
    1) The age old "is my card compatible question". I have a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Mini PCI-E internal card in my ASUS S96J. I have been able to browse the internet in BT with this card. If im not mistaken it has an AR5006x chipset. Im just wondering if this card will be able to go into monitor mode and do packet injection.
    Hardware Compatibility List!
    2) I installed back|track 2.0 to my HDD and it is NOTHING like BT2.0 when you boot from the Live CD (interface wise). How do I put it back to the way it is on the Live CD. I guess the most aggrivating thing is not being able to put icons on my desktop.
    You're doing something wrong then. Other than being faster, the HD install shouldn't be different at all.
    3) I tried following a guide from these forums about how to update Madwifi drivers using the svn command I believe it was. Of course me not knowing what to do has screwed up my internet connection so I cannot browse the internet anymore.
    Do you have a good reason to update the drivers?!
    Is there anyway I could contact someone (via AIM, MSN, Yahoo!)who would REALLY be able to help me out and is very knowlegable with linux?
    To me it seems slightly rude to post questions in a forum, and then expect someone to PM you the answers. The point of a public forum is knowledge for everyone, not just you; so the community-friendly way is to ask for and get your answers here, where others can then learn if they have the same questions as you.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Hardware Compatibility List!
    Yes I have checked this and I couldn't find any information on Mini PCI-E, however, I just noticated that the name was clickable and this is what is says.

Mini PCIe (Built in)

* Gigabit Atheros card works, but you have to use 'airmon-ng start wifi0' to set it into monitor mode.
    * Broadcom 4311-based Dell Wireless 1390 adapter is detected and works as mentioned below. Monitor mode works but packet injection doesn't seem to be working.

Im assuming that packet injection is included in the phrase Gigabit Atheros cards work.

You're doing something wrong then. Other than being faster, the HD install shouldn't be different at all.
    Ok well thank you for confirming that there is indeed a problem. So how would I got about fixing this?

Do you have a good reason to update the drivers?!
    No particular reason. I just figured that the newer ones would probably be better, plus I wanted to test my knowledge of using the Linux console.

To me it seems slightly rude to post questions in a forum, and then expect someone to PM you the answers. The point of a public forum is knowledge for everyone, not just you; so the community-friendly way is to ask for and get your answers here, where others can then learn if they have the same questions as you.
    I do not think I was being rude in anyway because I wasn't demanding anything, I was simply asking. There is always that person in the community who goes the extra mile by giving a little one-on-one help and I was hoping I could find that person. The only reason I did ask that is because I could not connect to the IRC channel which is my main goal. Finally, I am the kind of person that when I get started on something, I don't want to stop until I have it fixed or figured out. I was hoping that someone would possibly available tonight before I got some sleep to help me with this, but if not its no big deal.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

"I guess the most aggrivating thing is not being able to put icons on my desktop."
    Go Back Windows.....and you can put icons on desktop....even save your changes with a live install............
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

If I remember, the "Desktop" gets write protected when you do an install. Poke around in B|T it's there.

no...you can do it already in bt...and with a live install....on usb of course..... just follow the tutor in my signature

BackTrack :

Ok thanks, next time I boot BT I will look around for that. Any ideas on how I would restore my internet connection in BT. This is the guide I was following

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=330

I did the make && make install and that seemed to work, but the problem came when I typed modprobe ath_pci. It gave me an error of sorts.

well The madwifi drivers are already installed (and patched for injection) in BT2. You shouldn't have to do anything

but the install you have done was unneeded...and may have corrupted the native installation....

that can maybe explain why modprobe says errors....modprobe loads drivers........drivers fails.......probably due to corrupted installs...

BackTrack :

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    well The madwifi drivers are already installed (and patched for injection) in BT2. You shouldn't have to do anything

but the install you have done was unneeded...and may have corrupted the native installation....

that can maybe explain why modprobe says errors....modprobe loads drivers........drivers fails.......probably due to corrupted installs...
    How do I get it back to normal?

I was looking around for a way to make my desktop not write protected anymore, but I found no such option.

EDIT: Ok I got my internet working again, and I found out that I was loading FluxBox instead of KDE so I ran xconf and then startx and it brought me back to KDE

So with that being said...I guess all three of my questions were answered, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifix View Post
    So with that being said...I guess all three of my questions were answered, thanks!
    Another thread successfully concluded!
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast