Thread: RTL8187L cant capture WPA Handshake without DEAUTH! ?

Just burned his ISO

Default RTL8187L cant capture WPA Handshake without DEAUTH! ?

Hi guys,

3 days ago i bought ALFA AWUS036H. and i have backtrack 5 installed on my laptop. So, today i begin to some test about alfa injection and capturing handshake. But alfa / RTL8187L only can capture handshake when you do deauth. I also have broadcom b43 in my laptop. I tested broadcom b43 that is works perfect! b43 can capture wpa handshake anytime (i mean when victim restarts his pc or re-login wireless ).

So it doesnt make sense at all . why alfa / RTL8187L cant capture WPA Handshake directly ? So we always need deauth. right ?

BTW; please do not tell me driver updates or patches which is i already done .

Im waiting any solution, in this forum everybody saying that RTL8187 is working %100 properly with aircrack, but in my test system it doesnt....

Thank you have a nice day guys

Default Re: RTL8187L cant capture WPA Handshake without DEAUTH! ?

Quote Originally Posted by hdtshare View Post
    Hi guys,

3 days ago i bought ALFA AWUS036H. and i have backtrack 5 installed on my laptop. So, today i begin to some test about alfa injection and capturing handshake. But alfa / RTL8187L only can capture handshake when you do deauth. I also have broadcom b43 in my laptop. I tested broadcom b43 that is works perfect! b43 can capture wpa handshake anytime (i mean when victim restarts his pc or re-login wireless ).

So it doesnt make sense at all . why alfa / RTL8187L cant capture WPA Handshake directly ? So we always need deauth. right ?

Im waiting any solution, in this forum everybody saying that RTL8187 is working %100 properly with aircrack, but in my test system it doesnt....

Maybe is it firmware issue?
    In many wireless cards firmware is doing the most critical part of radio interface operation
    like spawning and controlling rx and tx processes handling control frames (beacon) sending hardware interrupt managing internal buffers ..etc
    Without kernel mode debugging your question will not be answered.

Which version of BT5 are you running? I was using my alfa on my BT5 KDE 64-bit install just today to capture multiple handshakes using just a default install. It might help to provide the output of airmon-ng.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Will hack for bandwidth!

Just burned his ISO

Quick question, can you capture your own injected packets?

I have had some issues with this as well. even when Im in the same room. but not too close. and sometimes when I do capture the handshake its incomplete. takes 3-4 attempts to get a complete handshake.

in fact i only got the complete handshake was when connecting to the AP with the same card {RTL8187} I was sniffing on. It wouldnt see it if I connected to the AP from another card {ath9k}
    using bt5 of course

Quote Originally Posted by hdtshare View Post
    Hi guys,

Last edited by Scamentology; 05-21-2011 at 02:40 AM.
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

using BT5-R1 on VMware Workstation 8. I capture a WPA-PSK from a TG585v7 Thomson gateway using DEAUTH, then I try on Aircrack-ng and the crack procedure runs normally and by normally I mean the process not if the password is cracked or not. However when I use coWPAtty 4.6 I always receive incomplete hand-shake, I tried it like 4-5 times. So who's right and who's wrong? Airodump-ng or CoWPAtty 4.6????

Quote Originally Posted by DaKahuna View Post
    Which version of BT5 are you running? I was using my alfa on my BT5 KDE 64-bit install just today to capture multiple handshakes using just a default install. It might help to provide the output of airmon-ng.
    I also just tested this on a fresh install of BT5-R1 Gnome 64-bit and my ALFA captured a regular (not deauthenicated) WPA handshake just fine.

I didn't test it in cowpatty so I can't give any input towards that.