Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple question about dual-boot

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Simple question about dual-boot

i'm cirrently using windows 7 and want to install BT5 side by side with my windows. So my question is when i install BT5 will i lose my data which is on my windows 7 partition, that is will the partition get formatted ?

Default Re: Simple question about dual-boot

To install BT5 side by side, you need to partition your Hard Disk, if you have only one Partition, shrink it with the built in windows disk utility, and create a new partition to install BT5.

As you seems to new to Linux/Backtrack and partitioning, i will recommend you to boot from the DVD or use a USB Disk to run BT5 for now, and learn the basics before going with a full hard disk install. Or else run in a virtual machine (Virtualbox is free).

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by bignick28 View Post
    i'm cirrently using windows 7 and want to install BT5 side by side with my windows. So my question is when i install BT5 will i lose my data which is on my windows 7 partition, that is will the partition get formatted ?
    Usually when you install windows 7, it takes up the whole disk. It will create a small partition for itself, and then the rest is yours.

What I did was used 'gparted' and shrunk the partition, and then when installing, used that space.

I have zero problems with mine...

Just burned his ISO

Nope, within the install.sh script in BT5 you will have to option to create a completely new partition that will hold your BT files/OS.

Just burned his ISO

When you begin the install process, you have several choices. If you choose to use the entire hard drive, you will loose your Windows install. Or, you can partition your hard drive (set aside a given space) for your BT5 / Swap install. The partition utility is built into the installer, and it is quite easy to use.
    I am running a triple boot on my Dell laptop. I have a 500 GB hard drive, I set aside 50 GB for BT5, 50 GB for Ubuntu 10.10, and the rest for Windows 7.

Dragon,

Where did you install GRUB?
    The reason that I am asking, is because on my laptop, there are 2 more partitions for Win7.

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: Simple question about dual-boot

so if i install windows and BT side by side(swap install) i won't lose the data on my windows 7 ?

Just burned his ISO

It's ok for you have 2 partitions, just make sure you have another partition for BT5, in Windows 7 you can shrink the free space to a new partition
    Quote Originally Posted by BushRat View Post
    Dragon,

Where did you install GRUB?
    The reason that I am asking, is because on my laptop, there are 2 more partitions for Win7.

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: Simple question about dual-boot

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1964m View Post
    When you begin the install process, you have several choices. If you choose to use the entire hard drive, you will loose your Windows install. Or, you can partition your hard drive (set aside a given space) for your BT5 / Swap install. The partition utility is built into the installer, and it is quite easy to use.
    I am running a triple boot on my Dell laptop. I have a 500 GB hard drive, I set aside 50 GB for BT5, 50 GB for Ubuntu 10.10, and the rest for Windows 7.
    so what you mean is that if install BT5 side by side with windows (swap install) i won't lose my windows 7 data, right ?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by bignick28 View Post
    so what you mean is that if install BT5 side by side with windows (swap install) i won't lose my windows 7 data, right ?
    Correct if you use the installer included with BT5 you can install it to a separate partition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast