Thread: Need some help please (Nmap)

Just burned his ISO

Default Need some help please (Nmap)

Hello everyone.

I've been working with backtrack vulnerability testing for a while now (May i add BT5 is amazing, great job) and i would like to take my knowledge to the next step. So here is my question.

Okay so when you scan in a network with nmap (if you're on the same network) you can view everyone on the network and open ports. 192.168.0.1/24 etc.

So i would like to know if i have an external IP address i need to scan, how would i get passed the router to see the computers on the network? I would use nessus for more evaluation.

One of the reasons i would love to learn this is my friend who lives half way across the world would like me to do some testing on his small business network. I can't go to him to do this so I'm going to try my best to do it from home. Any new tools would help me doing so?

Thanks for your time and if i didn't explain good enough feel free to let me know.

Default Re: Need some help please (Nmap)

Hello! Try to read first docs of nmap.

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

Just my 2 cts : you can't access the internal network from outside without having complete access to at least one machine. That can be done through various ways, that this forum or google will help you find
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

Just burned his ISO

Thanks guys

Someone needs to brush up on their networking basics.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Internetworking_Basics

One of the reasons i would love to learn this is my friend who lives half way across the world would like me to do some testing on his small business network. I can't go to him to do this so I'm going to try my best to do it from home. Any new tools would help me doing so?
    You and your "friend" are both way out in left field. Having someone try to do "testing" that doesn't have a handle on networking 101 type stuff is a waste of time and effort and will probably result in 1) Wasted time. 2) Wasted money (time == money). 3) Effort on their part when you break something. Because you try or testing something you don't understand. (Also see points #1 and #2).

Tell your "friend" to hire someone that does this for a living.

Assuming you and your "friend" ignore the common sense approach then try reading about VPN.
    Last edited by thorin; 05-18-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Seems like it would be easier to use a vpn and or team viewer.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Someone needs to brush up on their networking basics.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Internetworking_Basics

You and your "friend" are both way out in left field. Having someone try to do "testing" that doesn't have a handle on networking 101 type stuff is a waste of time and effort and will probably result in 1) Wasted time. 2) Wasted money (time == money). 3) Effort on their part when you break something. Because you try or testing something you don't understand. (Also see points #1 and #2).

Tell your "friend" to hire someone that does this for a living.

Assuming you and your "friend" ignore the common sense approach then try reading about VPN.
    Whoa buddy, I came for help. Not for someone to go on a rant about pointless matters. Okay I'm learning, one of the reasons i came for help.
    I know what a VPN is FYI, and he knows he's not going to get much from me (This is the part where i say "I'M LEARNING!)
    Well whatever, anyhow thanks for your advice.