Thread: Live CD boot options

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Live CD boot options

In the initial boot menu, there are two "Backtrack text - default boot text mode" options. If I select the top one, whole system panics and crashes. 2nd one works fine, up till xstart where I get a black screen.

So I'm wondering, whats the difference between the two? Why does one crash for me, and the other lead me to an issue which is plaguing other people as well?

thnx ^^

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Live CD boot options

Quote Originally Posted by watter View Post
    In the initial boot menu, there are two "Backtrack text - default boot text mode" options. If I select the top one, whole system panics and crashes. 2nd one works fine, up till xstart where I get a black screen.
    I had a similar question, the title entries on the boot menu are not clear. The second menu line (use tab to see the command line) passes the parameter "nomodeset" to the kernel. Your issue might be with your video card not liking the kernel-configured video in Ubuntu 10, I think you can solve your issue by booting with the second menu line and then installing your manufacturer's video driver if you need better resolution, (or to fix your black screen issue) do you have an older Nvidia card, by chance? The nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes until X is started. Make sure you install your video driver from the command line before you startx. Since you are booting from a live CD, the driver install will not be persistent unless you generate a customized DVD, would suggest a HDD install (or a different video card).
    Last edited by airfr8dog; 05-17-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Live CD boot options

Its a ATI mobility radeon HD 5730. I treid what I found in another thread:
    Code:
    wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-5-x86.x86_64.run
    sh ati-driver-installer-11-5-x86.x86_64.run
    After doing that though, even the terminal was a bit buggy (wouldn't start on a new line, could not see what I was typing, etc...) and startx still failed.

And I'm working with KDE x64