Thread: Deleting Backtrack from HD

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Deleting Backtrack from HD

Here's Gparted screenshot from backtrack :

Windows Disk Management:

I need your expert advice on this guys. Help me out. I currently have dual boot windows 7 and backtrack installed on my C: drive. Now I want to completely remove backtrack from my system and have only windows 7 on there. What's the best way to delete the partitions of backtrack along with grub and have just windows 7 running? I don't want to do it wrong by deleting any partitions that belongs to backtrack and then end up with some boot up error afterwards when loading windows 7.

I ran backtrack LIVE CD and tried to see if I could delete the sda2, sda5, sda6 but sda 2 and sda 6 have those yellow lock icons on them and could not be accessed or modified.

So yeah, I want backtrack and grub out of my system. and resize my C: drive back to the way it was when only windows 7 was installed. Should I delete the backtrack partitions using LIVE CD Gparted or delete the partitions in Window's Disk Management?

Default Re: Deleting Backtrack from HD

There are quite a few programs out there that will resize partitions, google away. As for booting, deleting the partitions with Backtrack will almost certainly screw up booting. This is easily fixed by doing a quick fixmbr.
    Computer security is a temporary condition.

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

+1 for fixmbr. Once grub is out, just format BT partitions form a live CD for instance.
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

Just burned his ISO GrumpyOldGuy's Avatar

At least under Vista after you delete the BT partitions you won't be able to boot directly from your hard disk, because one of the partitions you'll be deleting contains the GRUB loader. When you delete that partition, smacko, GRUB don't work no more and you can't boot from that drive.

Instead, you'll need a bootable CD from which you can run fixmbr (windows fix master boot record utility), which will then restore your ability to boot from the Windows partition on your hard drive.

So, uh, you better be sure you've got a bootable CD on hand before you start messing with those partitions. You can find ISO images for bootable Vista disks on the web - I suppose you can probably find them for Win7 as well.

And I say this having done all of the research, and burned a bootable Vista disk, but having not yet done the actual partition delete and rebuild process. Cause I'm chicken of blowing my shit up. Bwaaaak! Bwaaak! Cluck cluck!

Good luck, and post back with your results.

Just burned his ISO

Do you use grub to boot up your Windows 7? If yes, please run bootsect ALL /nt60 /force /mbr in windows 7, after that, you can remove bt5 partitions.
    If no, just remove the bt5 partitions.

Bootsect you can find from winpe cd or google.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: Deleting Backtrack from HD

Yeah I use GRUB to boot windows 7 and Backtrack.

But hey, I got it to delete the partitions and after that FIXMBR with my Windows 7 Setup DVD. Everything is ehh okay, thanks everyone! Here's a youtube video that I found to be most useful if anyone who needs to do the same as I did.

MOD EDIT: Youtube link removed.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 05-22-2011 at 11:18 AM.