Thread: BT5 on MacBookPro8,2?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default BT5 on MacBookPro8,2?

I've got a brand new MacBookPro8,2 that I'd like to triple boot with BT5 (or any previous version if BT5 isn't compatible yet, but that's not the point of this post, that's just additional info: the point here is really to get BT5 working). I've got the stock Snow Leopard partition shrunk down, an 8gb slice for BT5 (current formatted at fat32, but that was just temporary to get Disk Utility to be happy), and Win7 on the last partition. Currently OSX and Win7 boot perfectly using Bootcamp (hold Option key during boot, etc). Refit 0.14 is incompatible with my machine for some reason (I've been watching refit's site, and there haven't been developments on the bugs I'm getting in well over a year).

Here's my partition table:
    Code:
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk0
       1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            690.0 GB   disk0s2
       3:       Microsoft Basic Data BT5                     8.0 GB     disk0s3
       4:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                51.8 GB    disk0s4
    /dev/disk1
       0:                            BT5                    *1.9 GB     disk1
    /dev/disk2
       0:                            EMAIL                  *21.5 GB    disk2
    I've got the ISO of BT5x32 and x64 (both KDE) burned to DVDs and both images mount and start to boot fine. However, once I get to boot options no matter what I choose, I end up with a rainbow-snow screen of death (yes, even if I choose safe-mode or text-only modes and no, I'm not at the point where I'm starting X yet).

I'm attaching a picture of the rainbow-snow to this post.

Is BT5 compatible with my hardware, just in a basic sense (to boot?). I've got some RTL8187 cards to use, so I'm not worried about the built in wifi or anything. I'm also concerned about how I'm going to boot properly since refit doesn't work, but again, that's something I'll need to solve after I can at least get the Live DVD to work. To the best of my knowledge Mactel hardware can't use Live USB's of linux anymore, but I'm not sure that will solve my problem (I have a 2gb Live USB of BT4R2 that worked on a previous Mactel, but not this latest one).

Any help getting the Live DVD working and/or getting it installed to my middle partiton and triple-bootable would be awesome.
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT5 on MacBookPro8,2?

I was able to successfully install BT5-gnome-64bit on my MBP 8,2. I did not use Refit or anything other than the BT iso burned to disc. I also received the pictured rainbow screen when trying the standard boot option. To fix I edited (press Tab) the Backtrack Debug/Safe Mode boot option and added "nomodeset" to the end of the param list.

Issues I have with BT5 on MBP 8,2:
    -onboard wireless does not work. I had the same problem as upc0d3 when trying to build the Broadcom drivers (see thread: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...utoconf-h.html). USB wireless works great!
    -touchpad is basic function only. No touch click. No multi-touch gestures. No right-click functionality. Ubuntu 11 has excellent multi-touch support, but I don't know how to add this into BT5.
    -sound doesn't seem to work. Haven't even looked into it.

My partition table looks like this:
    /dev/sda1 - fat32 - 209 MB
    /dev/sda2 - hfs+ - 399760 MB
    /dev/sda3 - efi boot partition - 100 MB
    /dev/sda4 - swap - 4000 MB
    /dev/sda5 - ext4 - / - 96036

Install boot loader to /dev/sda - Hold down Option at boot, labeled as Windows drive.