Thread: open port or closed ??

Just burned his ISO

Question open port or closed ??

how r u all ??
    i scanned my network using nmap and then i used autopwn but no sessions so i wondered do i have to open a port to use m3tasploit and autopwn ??
    thanks in advance

Default Re: open port or closed ??

You're gonna get flamed for not doing your research. There are metasploit posts and tutorials all over the place, but I'm in a good mood so I'll give you a tip...

Lots of variables could be playing into your lack of a session. I'm going to assume you scanned your LAN and there is no need to worry about firewalls or port forwarding because that's a noob-raping demon in and of itself. Metasploit's db_autopwn should automatically start any associated listeners and open any requisite ports on your machine, so you shouldn't need to open or change any ports unless they're being filtered.

The computers you scanned may not have any vulnerabilities that can be exploited via a simple nmap scan, so that could also be why you have no sessions. You might need look into other vulnerability assessment methods like Nessus or OpenVAS.

My advice: Go study up at Metasploit Unleashed and practice on an early-edition XP virtual machine. You're in over your head if you're trying to learn metasploit by taking on a larger-scoped project like attacking an entire LAN.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed75909 View Post
    how r u all ??
    i scanned my network using nmap and then i used autopwn but no sessions so i wondered do i have to open a port to use m3tasploit and autopwn ??
    thanks in advance
    First, ff you're system isn't offering any services (which seems unlikely, but IS what you've described) how is anyone (including you) going to connect to it remotely? Second, yes there are things you have to configure in order to use Metasploit including source and dest port info.
    Last edited by thorin; 05-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Did nmap report open ports???