Thread: Persistent USB Install Size

Default Persistent USB Install Size

I have a 4gig flash drive that I wanted to install BT4 Final to. The video walk-through on the offensive-security site says minimum 2 gigs/recommended 4, but some other people have told me that 4 is pushing it and I should go buy an 8 gig drive.

Will I be ok on a 4 gig? I don't need to save any huge files when using BT, I would just like to be able to keep my preferences and that sort of thing. I know this seems stupid because I can go buy an 8 gig drive for $25 and be done with it, but I'm in college and generally have less than 50 bucks to my name on any given day. I have to work with whatever hardware I can scavenge.

Default Re: Persistent USB Install Size

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    I have a 4gig flash drive that I wanted to install BT4 Final to. The video walk-through on the offensive-security site says minimum 2 gigs/recommended 4, but some other people have told me that 4 is pushing it and I should go buy an 8 gig drive.

Will I be ok on a 4 gig? I don't need to save any huge files when using BT, I would just like to be able to keep my preferences and that sort of thing. I know this seems stupid because I can go buy an 8 gig drive for $25 and be done with it, but I'm in college and generally have less than 50 bucks to my name on any given day. I have to work with whatever hardware I can scavenge.
    4gb is perfect I've been using persistant changes with no problems . if you want to install like you would to a hard drive then 8gb is the bare minimum you should opt for .

Ah, ok, thank you. I think I was confused momentarily about the difference between USB persistent and a full-blown install.

Thanks for your help.

it can be done even on 2Gb one.The only problem would be that there will be less space for the changes(like 400Mb).If you are going to update stuff it will run out very soon.But at least its enough for customizing the gui and personal preferences

Just burned his ISO

Hi, regarding USB and persistancy, I've also a question. Is it possible to save my preferences like keyboard layout and wifi setting, on an usb stick without creating separate partitions like in the video, just by changing the mode of some directories on my usb drive. I generated bt4 final on usb by using unetbootin.

Thank you in advance.
    Ghost itf