Thread: BT5 won't install via USB or HDD

Default BT5 won't install via USB or HDD

I'm having a little bit of a problem. I'm trying to install BT5 and I have tried all the options, some boot and show a multi colored screen and some load like normal then stop and a cursor comes up allowed text to be typed. Has anyone ran into this problem before?
    RIP SHIRLEY 10/11/2008

Default Re: BT5 won't install via USB or HDD

if you havent used backtrack before, you must type startx at cursor. if your getting a error no xservers available,type -fix-vesa and a xserver will be saved. then type startx

username=root and password is toor. if thats not your problem post some screen shots or errors.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Nyk0n View Post
    I'm having a little bit of a problem. I'm trying to install BT5 and I have tried all the options, some boot and show a multi colored screen and some load like normal then stop and a cursor comes up allowed text to be typed. Has anyone ran into this problem before?
    I have had the same issue for the last few days without sleep getting to the point of no return here...
    I have now attempted, just to boot the darn thing, for 3 days now! Via usb and dvd for 32 bit, and Via usb and dvd for 64 bit. Even though I knew the 64 bit on a fat file system wont work, i was willing to try everything. Now when i say i tried this, i mean i downloaded every single version available to download and attempted every single one of them on dvd and usb, in every possible comination. i have coasters everywhere and my all usb sticks are all getting a workout this week. ALL FAILING EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED IN THE PREVIOUS POST I AM QUOTING ON!
    I am now convinced! yes convinced i said, that this is all that BT 5 has to offer. The power of booting pretty colored dots, millions of them, all over the monitor. If your lucky, it will just freeze before you can type "root", or even just as you are about to, you only got to type "r", and FREEEEEZ!

WHAT THE ? IS GOING ON HERE ?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by naphets View Post
    I have had the same issue for the last few days without sleep getting to the point of no return here...
    I have now attempted, just to boot the darn thing, for 3 days now! Via usb and dvd for 32 bit, and Via usb and dvd for 64 bit. Even though I knew the 64 bit on a fat file system wont work, i was willing to try everything. Now when i say i tried this, i mean i downloaded every single version available to download and attempted every single one of them on dvd and usb, in every possible comination. i have coasters everywhere and my all usb sticks are all getting a workout this week. ALL FAILING EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED IN THE PREVIOUS POST I AM QUOTING ON!
    I am now convinced! yes convinced i said, that this is all that BT 5 has to offer. The power of booting pretty colored dots, millions of them, all over the monitor. If your lucky, it will just freeze before you can type "root", or even just as you are about to, you only got to type "r", and FREEEEEZ!

WHAT THE ? IS GOING ON HERE ?!?!
    First of all, I consider that you don't have the right to come here and say "This is all BT5 has to offer.", your activity in the development and bug fixes on Backtrack is 0.

Backtrack is open source which means that we also expect the community to help us troubleshooting and fixing different stuff, mostly by reporting bugs. These reports should be done in a correct way, you just come here and complain "It doesn't work", we can not read minds. So instead of just posting here hoping to get spoonfeed you could start offering details, how did you build the USB or burn the DVD, what hardware do you have, what video card, have you installed the videocard drivers, how many of your hardware manufacturers have you called to check for Linux support, did you try the USB / DVD on another machine to see if it works not just your machine, what solutions did you try ?

Also Backtrack is used by a lot of people either people who do this as a hobby either professionals and most of these people who have the required Linux knowledge to run Backtrack have not reported any major issues, and the small ones were taken care of with their help.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Wow naphets, do you seriously feel that entitled when it comes to an open project and open community? Have you contributed beyond your one post, made donations, provided wiki content, anything???? No one here owes you anything, everyone here volunteers their time and effort. Perhaps I don't see what's happening at your location where you've been up for 3 days trying to figure this out, maybe some uber bad dude is holding a gun to yer head telling you to push the big red "H4x0r 1t n0wz!" button..... Based on the 1000s of other threads like yours, chances are very high that "WHAT THE ? IS GOING ON HERE ?!?!" is PEBKAC or can be corrected by RTFM....
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.