Thread: Fix for installer crash in VMware with Gnome and KDE 64-bit

Hybrid View

Default Fix for installer crash in VMware with Gnome and KDE 64-bit

Hi,

For the gnome version ensure that the settings for the guest operating system "Other 64-bit" are. Also provide at least 512 memory but abit more is better.

Normally it should work now. But if you keep having difficulties with the installer you can always use VirtualBox instead the gnome version installs on VB without any difficulties.

And now the problem child KDE 64-bit.

ensure that the settings for the guest operating system are "Other 64-bit".
    I took 776 memory, (I had been trying for to long to keep a little bit of extra memory to be sure stand in my way)

For the processors change virtualization engine from 'Automatic' to 'Intel VT-x or AMD-V' and put 'Disable acceleration for binary translation' on. After the installation you can put both back on default.

Normally it should work now. Don't forget to apply the startx-fix (I had to remove only the 2 files in cache-root before install and after I had remove the once in cache-bt also)

For the installation in Virtualbox I used 'Other Linux' as operating system.
    At the System menu:
    - on the Motherboard tab put 'Enable IO APIC' on and make sure you got at least 512 Memory (think default is 320 or so)
    - on the Processor tab put 'Enable PAE/NX' on
    - and on the Acceleration tab make sure both options are on

These settings worked fine for me, now only have to find out how to install the guest-additions. Keep get an error because the installer can't find the sources of my current Linux kernel.

Hope some of you can finaly enjoy BT-5 KDE 64

Found the how-to on how to prepare kernel sources so guest-additions work now
    Last edited by Bindi; 05-15-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Fix for installer crash in VMware with Gnome and KDE 64-bit

I had no problems installing any of the 4 different versions of BT5 in VMware Workstation (newest version, host is Linux). No need to do anything what you have listed there, just default settings everytime, so I wonder which version you using?

Default Re: Fix for installer crash in VMware with Gnome and KDE 64-bit

Sorry thought that i gave the host and guest details but was in an other post so here they are:

Booting Gnome-64-bit and KDE-64-bit straight from iso, so not burned on a disk or used UNetbootin

VMware version: VMware 7.1.4

Host: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - Intel i5 2.67GHz - *GB Ram

Guest details that didn't work: I tried different guest os version's and left everything on default. This gives you for example:

HD: 8GB
    Memory: 383 MB

So after doing some reading in found in the manual (yeah those thing are handy sometimes ):
    Processors Settings Panel

Intel VT-x or AMD-V – Uses hardware extensions to run and isolate guest code. This option also uses shadow page tables to map guest memory.

Disable acceleration for binary translation– In rare instances, you might find that when you install or run software inside a virtual machine, Workstation appears to freeze. Generally, the problem occurs early in the execution of the program. In many cases, you can circumvent the problem by temporarily disabling acceleration in the virtual machine.
    After you pass the point at which the program encountered problems, deselect this check box.

To conclude, the os type doesn't matter that much but when stuff crashes enable 'Disable acceleration for binary translation' and if you want to keep your host abit more save select 'Intel VT-x or AMD-V –'