Thread: Networking on boot

Default Networking on boot

Against my better judgement im just going to come out and ask since i cant find it for the life of me.

How do you disable the networking on boot as well as dhclient3 / portmap / rpc.statd? Also why exactly are they enabled to begin with, is there something specific that uses them / some reason that they couldnt be started when needed?

Thanks

r083rt

Default Re: Networking on boot

there has been so many threads 'my internet is not working how do i get internet connection ' maybe the bt team decided to just have it automatically setup

why do you want it not to connect at boot ???? what are you trying to do???

r083rt

Its not really an issue honestly as most everytime i load i do "ifconfig eth0 up ; dhclient eth0 ; killall dhclient" .. however the reason im asking is because logic would dictate that the startup scripts would be stored in init.d and i have not for the life of me been able to find them.

The other reason is i would REALLY like to know what those ports are opened for / why it was necessary to leave them open.

r083rt

i will do some searching as the new filesystem completely different its a jungle in bt5 so ill post when i find the files

r083rt

Maybe I can help. I just installed BT5 this morning and have been poking around in the file system and came across the same issue. BT5 utilizes the newer upstart job system as well as the older init.d and rc*.d scripts, kind of similar to newer versions of Ubuntu. Here's a quick rundown:

Upstart jobs are basically config files located in the /etc/init/ directory and contain directives that tell it what to do and on what event to execute. The older init.d scripts are linked to the upstart job if one exists and will generate an error telling you to use the upstart job instead if invoked from a command line. To manage these services use the initctl commands (start, stop, list, etc).

Below is the networking.conf file:

Code:
    description "configure virtual network devices"

start on (local-filesystems 
          and stopped udevtrigger)

task

pre-start exec mkdir -p /var/run/network

exec ifup -a
    So it starts when local-filesystems are started (an event trigger) and executes and ifup -a. That reads your interfaces files and brings up any interfaces that are set to auto there. so, just open your interfaces file, delete all the interfaces you don't need, add static information for eth0 (if desired) and comment out the "auto" lines. You can then start your networking with ifup eth0 (if thats the interface you use).

TO disable portmap and statd open the portmap-boot.conf file and comment out the line that begins with exec. That way you can still start the services if needed through initctl.

I also did a update-rc -f framework-postgres remove to stop that service on startup as well...I personally don't like anything running unless I start it myself.

@Kx499 - Thanks. Lots to chew on here.
    You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.
    -Gitsnik

Just burned his ISO

I have looked at the /etc/init/ directory, and only understand what a few of the scripts do. I would like to make sure that BackTrack doesn't start making any "noise" on the network until I tell it to. Could anyone tell me which scripts I need to disable/edit to make this happen? Thanks.