Thread: N1 Wireless ExpressCard (Atheros)...compatible?

Default N1 Wireless ExpressCard (Atheros)...compatible?

Anyone know of D-Link's new DWA-643 (N1 Wireless ExpressCard) working with BT?

I can't find anything on the forums, is there a command you can type to enable certain drivers within BT? I do know that it is using Atheros 5008 chipset.

I know for my IPW3945 I have to manually load the drivers from the bash prompt.

Any ideas?

Here is a link to the card I bought: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550

Developer

Hey man Im not being a dick .....well a little. I got this result with one search. To activate search function click here

How To Enable Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Card In Backtrack
    I'm a bit noob to linux/backtrack about 3 weeks in now. And I couldn't find a dedicated guide on how to enable this card, so when I stumbled across the answer I thought i'd share it. At the beginning I found a few of the guides a little hard to follow. So I've made this as easy to follow as I can. Hope it's of use. Sorry if it comes across a little patronising.

Open a console and type

cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0

Hit enter then type

load

Hit enter

Your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG can now be found at eth1

For Those of you that have backtrack2 installed on your hdd. To save typing all that in every time you restart.

Open a console and type

alias 3945="cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0"

Hit enter

now all you have to do to enable your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG is type

Hit enter

load

Hit enter

replace 3945 with whatever keyword you want as I only used it as an example

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    Hey man Im not being a dick .....well a little. I got this result with one search. To activate search function click here

How To Enable Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Card In Backtrack
    I'm a bit noob to linux/backtrack about 3 weeks in now. And I couldn't find a dedicated guide on how to enable this card, so when I stumbled across the answer I thought i'd share it. At the beginning I found a few of the guides a little hard to follow. So I've made this as easy to follow as I can. Hope it's of use. Sorry if it comes across a little patronising.

Open a console and type

cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0

Hit enter then type

load

Hit enter

Your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG can now be found at eth1

For Those of you that have backtrack2 installed on your hdd. To save typing all that in every time you restart.

Open a console and type

alias 3945="cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0"

Hit enter

now all you have to do to enable your Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG is type

Hit enter

load

Hit enter

replace 3945 with whatever keyword you want as I only used it as an example
    Purehate,

I know you're trying to help, but read my post one more time.

I don't have a problem getting the 3945 to work. But, it doesn't inject and my laptop only has an ExpressCard slot so I had to take a chance and buy an ExpressCard LAN card and hope it works.

So, I bought a D-LINK N1 Wireless ExpressCard and it has the Atheros 5008 chipset and was wondering how to get it load (if even possible) like I do for my 3945.

Care to take another shot?

Developer

dude the atheros drivers {i.e. mad wifi} should load auto. My atheros cards work right outa the box. If your unsure you should pay attentions to all that sqript that passes by you at boot time. If you take the time to read it you can easily see what loads, what doesnt, what is recognized what isnt. Have you even tried to use the card or are you assuming that the drivers must be loaded like the IPW3495? If so whats the error? and last this sounds stupid but make sure the card is in at boot time to ensure loading of the drivers

I'll see if I can read dmesg, and yes the card is in at boot. I agree, the Atheros drivers should be in BT but was just making sure. I'll try again and let you know.

Hey umm, did you ever get your card to work? I have a new laptop that doesn't have a pc card slot, just a express card slot. So i was wondering if the card you got your card working under bt3. If so, im on my way to get me one.

I don't think this card is anygood. i bought the normal version without express and it was version v2000 if i remmber correctly. I couldn't get it work in bt2. which i couldn't find driver either. also I searched and found that performance were dispointing. which it has range issue. i don't think it's worth $97 dollors plus tax. i returned right away.

I rather think alfa is more better.

Just burned his ISO

bump. Does anyone have any experience with this card...in backtrack 3 or something?
    It is supported by aircrack-ng, and i guess it supports packet injection and all too. ?

thanks

I don't have direct experience with this card - but I did have some trouble with my D-Link DWA-652 pci card that might be similar in nature to yours. My card is not an express card, but it uses the same Atheros 5008 (AR5008) chipset. This is what I had to do to get my card working properly.

hxxp://forum.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=17164

Hopefully this will help.

Timmay