Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Aircrack issue/bug in BT5

edited** I have the BT5 32bit vmware version

BT4 R2 Fresh install comes with
    Aircrack 1.1 r1738

BT5 released with
    Aircrack 1.1 r1899

With a fresh install of BT4 R2 I can successfully run airodump and pickup a 4 way handshake on my test network, and successfully run a dictionary to crack it.

With BT5, and the latest r1899 release of aircrack I can run airodump on the same network no changes, and it will tell me it has picked up the 4 way, however when I try to run that same dictionary on the cap it never finds the password. To further test the caps I analyzed the file with cowpatty and it tells me the 4 way was not completed.

I have run this test several times with the same end every time. Is there a patch or something for r1899 that will help with this issue I have not found yet?

I'm not entirely sure if this even belongs in the BT5 forums since I believe it is a aircrack issue not a BT issue. But here it is none the less.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Aircrack issue/bug in BT5

Hi,
    have you tried testing the actual caps on each distro, I mean, capture with BT4R2 and save it to bt4-cap.cap then test cracking on both distros, then capture with BT5 as say, bt5-cap.cap and test that on both. If I read your post correctly, it seems you have tried capture and crack seperately on each distro, so there is a few exta variables in your test environment.

It may well be that the wireless drivers have changed between distros, or for some reason your capture wasn't good with BT5.

Just burned his ISO

You know thats a good point. I havent yet but I also didnt think to question the driver because everything seemed to be working (at a glance with monitor mode and connecting to the networks and such). I'll do this and get back with the results.

Just to be clear I'll be grabbing the 4 way in BT5 and see if BT4 aircrack can find the shake. And the other way around.

I hadnt done this yet because I took cowpattys analysis as a deciding factor on whether or not the 4 way picked up properly.

Since drivers are possibly a factor I use the rtl8187 with a Alfa AWUS036H.

Edit:

So now I'm completely confused. The other day I must have run my other test like 5 times and every single one came up the way I said it did. I just ran the cross test and it worked on BOTH. So I don't know what to classify this as anymore lol. (I rebooted a few times and reset the adapter each time to make sure it wasnt something silly) when i did the testing. I'll test this some more later tonight and post back. Till then I wont mark the thread as resolved just in case this happens again when I check back later.
    Last edited by sickness; 05-15-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Just burned his ISO

I am having the same issue, I am wondering if it has to do with cowpatty on BT5 If I take a capture I did with airodump in bt5 and boot with a live CD BT4R1 cowpatty says everything is good and doesn't complain about the 4-way handshake.

I have also tried making a cap in BT4R1 tested it with cowpatty 4.6 on the Bt4 Live CD and cowpatty does not complain about the 4-way handshake but taking that same file I just captured over to BT5 (same machine but installed) it complains...

Now this could be that I am using the 64bit version of BT5 on the installed instance..

I will try the BT5 live 64bit dvd and 32bit dvd and see what cowpatty reports back with the two files from the same network handshake (SSID) on the same hardware

Update:
    Confirmed Cowpatty on all BT5 versions (32bit/64Bit live KDE and install versions) do not seem to like the cap files unless you use the -2 option which will lead you into another issue of the buffer overflow kind which another poster has submitted a fix for.. seems the same cowpatty version 4.6 in BT4 does not have a problem with the exact same cap file...

any

Just burned his ISO

I'm using the BT5 32 bit Gnome version and have issues also.

I have created a pmk hash table with genpmk in BT5 with a wordlist that contains the password. I am unable to use cowpatty because BT5 does not recognize the 4 way handshake as being captured, yet if I use aircrack with the same wordlist on the same .cap file it does successfully find the password.

I have tried the same hashfile against the same .cap file in cowpatty on BT4 R2 (USB install) and it does not have success finding the password.

I am currently creating a pmk hash table in BT4 R2 and will try it against the .cap file from BT5. I'll report back tomorrow if it works or not.