Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ettercap hangs while scanning for hosts

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Ettercap hangs while scanning for hosts

Guyzzz,, help some more here, i have edited the config file till now only for ettercap , is there anything else i need to config for ettercap in BT5, as i can see i am not able to get desired results at all while running ettercap.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

What exactly is your problem?
    For what I've seen and read, the ettercap is not stable in BT5, so people is uninstalling or removing it from the distro and re-installing the deb package built for this ubuntu distro on which BT5 is based..
    This way works.
    Please, be more specific as to what your problem is, so we can help you, because in this thread, the problem was "ettercap hanging when scanning for hosts" and it has been solved.

BEst of lucks..

Just burned his ISO

This is suppose to be a thread -

Hi all,

first of all you button "TOP" is not working.

Ok, do you see I spend last two weeks trying to make this **** working. Using hp 4520s 64bit, but this is doesn't matter.

Read all google articles I found, try patches, editing etter.conf, install and reinstall everything you can imagine, but it didn't work.

I have been trying this on this distributions - Backtrack 3 gnome 32; Backtrack 3 kde 32, Backtrack 5 32 gnome; Backtrack 5 gnome 64; Backtrack 5 R1 64 gnome; Backtrack R1 64 KDE

By the way try to run it on few distributions on my old PC, and what a miracle - it doesn't run and there.

Since I'm not the first one and this is not the first thread about this I wonder why even this tool is included? I know it promise a lot, but it work like russian roulette - once from six times.

I don't know Python - I'm learning other languages right now, hope some day to learn it to fix this tool.

PS: Really like the forum captcha.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gruio View Post
    This is suppose to be a thread -

Hi all,

first of all you button "TOP" is not working.

Ok, do you see I spend last two weeks trying to make this **** working. Using hp 4520s 64bit, but this is doesn't matter.

Read all google articles I found, try patches, editing etter.conf, install and reinstall everything you can imagine, but it didn't work.

I have been trying this on this distributions - Backtrack 3 gnome 32; Backtrack 3 kde 32, Backtrack 5 32 gnome; Backtrack 5 gnome 64; Backtrack 5 R1 64 gnome; Backtrack R1 64 KDE

By the way try to run it on few distributions on my old PC, and what a miracle - it doesn't run and there.

Since I'm not the first one and this is not the first thread about this I wonder why even this tool is included? I know it promise a lot, but it work like russian roulette - once from six times.

I don't know Python - I'm learning other languages right now, hope some day to learn it to fix this tool.

PS: Really like the forum captcha.
    I did not mean to make you feel bad.. But there are other options.

If you see, the Ubuntu distros looks the same as BT, and if you read, It is based on Ubuntu distro but with other repos and do not have so many packets...It is all Linux, as simple as that.
    I started to install all programs in BT to my Debian and previously in my Jaunty and Karmic...

I have the ettercap, sslstrip, aircrack-ng suite, dsniff suite, apache, SET tool, Metasploit, and many others things in y Debian Squeeze now..With compiz effects and all the things, pretty stable and very happy testing....

So, if BT is not working for you as expected, there are others distros, and you can install all you need...I do not know if those packages works 100% in a 64-bit distro, but I'm sure, from my personal experience, they work like a charm in a 32-bit distro, in my case, Karmic, Jaunty and now, in my proudly, excellent and overall stable Debian Distro...

I have a simple dell centrino with 32mB nvidia video card and 60 Gb Hard drive laptop with debian (Compiz and all efects, Ettercap, sslstrip, SET tool, Metasploit, aircrack, etc), WInXP, and BT5....All working like a Charm...

Hope this comment helps you, never quit, try other options if the one you expected to work did not..

Best regards..

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Re: Ettercap hangs while scanning for hosts

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    What exactly is your problem?
    For what I've seen and read, the ettercap is not stable in BT5, so people is uninstalling or removing it from the distro and re-installing the deb package built for this ubuntu distro on which BT5 is based..
    This way works.
    Please, be more specific as to what your problem is, so we can help you, because in this thread, the problem was "ettercap hanging when scanning for hosts" and it has been solved.

BEst of lucks..
    First i apologies for my late reply..

now the problem, I am following each and every step to get ettercap working but when at last step i click on start sniffing nothing happens , i simply get the statement "starting unified communication" , i tried browsing my host machine for some website but it's unable to capture any packets .

i am trying to sniff my host machine through my virtual BT5. i am new to BT5

Just burned his ISO

hey all , this is my first post and i am new to BT5
    i had this problem and i removed the older def BT etter and reinstalled the .deb's everything went to success
    but when i run the ui version of ettercap it doesnt run from applications>back track> previlage **>ettercap-gtk
    any help is appreciated in advance
    thanks
    entp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12