Thread: USB Installs

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO StupidCrows's Avatar

Default USB Installs

Just out of curiosity has anyone tried using the installer script (which i'm sure is the same one Ubuntu uses) to install to a USB stick?

Under Ubuntu 10.04 i was able to install ubuntu to my usb drive as if it was a HDD. If it is possible with BT that could just eliminate the persistence stuff with unetbootin and LiLi right away.

Default Re: USB Installs

i used this tutorial, works perfect.

USB Live

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StupidCrows View Post
    Just out of curiosity has anyone tried using the installer script (which i'm sure is the same one Ubuntu uses) to install to a USB stick?

Under Ubuntu 10.04 i was able to install ubuntu to my usb drive as if it was a HDD. If it is possible with BT that could just eliminate the persistence stuff with unetbootin and LiLi right away.

No the installer script is not the same as ubuntu.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by StupidCrows View Post

I did this with bt4 and it worked "installing it to a usb like if it was an hdd" but haven't tried with BT5 yet.

I was wondering if its so easy to just install it to the usb as if it was like an hdd then why would people do it the hard way where you make a partition on the usb and copy the cd content to it and make another partition to save the changes you make to the system?
    The only plus I see to that method is that maybe when you install BT to a usb like a normal hdd install then the system will read and write a lot to the flash memory which might make it degrade a lot faster.

Any ideas regarding these 2 methods ?!

Regards,
    Code1101

Quote Originally Posted by code1101 View Post
    I did this with bt4 and it worked "installing it to a usb like if it was an hdd" but haven't tried with BT5 yet.

I was wondering if its so easy to just install it to the usb as if it was like an hdd then why would people do it the hard way where you make a partition on the usb and copy the cd content to it and make another partition to save the changes you make to the system?
    The only plus I see to that method is that maybe when you install BT to a usb like a normal hdd install then the system will read and write a lot to the flash memory which might make it degrade a lot faster.

Any ideas regarding these 2 methods ?!

Regards,
    Code1101
    Thats the same thing I was thinking too, hence why i made the thread. I wonder how many people are aware that you can do it that way. As far as negative side effects go, it is only a USB stick, can't see it making much of a big difference. I'll have to give it a shot later and see how well it performs as a full install to HDD. Maybe the read and write would be longer as a full install vs a Live Install with a small persistence?

Nope i haven't tried it yet with BT, just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it.