Thread: kismet and network mapping

Just burned his ISO

Default kismet and network mapping

Hi

Did anybody try gpsmap? A little tool that comes with Kismet to map wireless network area. I downloaded latest version of Kismet and tried to use it, but it said that it can't find a "courier" font so it won't draw labels on the networks. Then I downloaded and installed the latest version of Imagemagick (6.3.4.2) and after I ran gpsmap with such options:

gpsmap -S 3 -M -o wifimap.gif kismet2.gps -trek -R 20 -n 2

it gave me this and produced no map at all

gpsmap: magick/annotate.c:977: GetTypeMetrics: Assertion `draw_info->text != (char *) ((void *)0)' failed.
    ./drawmap: line 1: 2735 Aborted gpsmap -S 3 -M -o wifimap.gif kismet2.gps -trek -R 20 -n 2

and yes I posted on Kismet forum

kismetwireless.net/Forum/General/Messages/1179100217.928601

talked to dragorn but he said that imagemagick is buggy and started to ignore me

I tried everything i could think of, the interesting fact is that it works perfectly on Troppix 1.0 where gpsmap version is from 04/2005 and imagemagick is 6.0.6.

So, following my newbie logic I obtained imagemagick 6.0.6 and tried to install it on BT, but still the same shit. newer gpsmap (04/2006) complains about with the above error and older one gives me this

error while loading shared libraries: libMagick.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So, any suggestions from you, experts? I can't wait for imagemagick guys fix their error if they ever will, I need something now.

By the way, if you know any alternatives to gpsmap that can plot area of the network and estimate it's range and center please let me know

Thank you

Just burned his ISO

Anybody know?

Just burned his ISO

nobody knows, right? nobody ever uses GPSmap and kismet i guess

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

ther's a good tutor on remote-exploit website, here is a copypaste

GPS Use with Kismet and gpsdrive

Here is a quick guide to configuring a GPS for use with Kismet and how to configure gpsdrive to use Kismet's GPS info to plot Access Points on its map.
    1)Configure your GPS:
    Syntax entered is case sensitive!!
    - Press ALT+F2 enter the command
    start-gps-daemon

- Enter GPS device location and baud rate. Valid device location(port) are /dev/ttyUSB0 for USB GPS's and /dev/ttySx for serial GPS's where x is the serial port number. The baud rate on most GPS devices is 4800. - To confirm you are receiving data on your shell type telnet localhost 2947 and once you connect press r and enter and if the device location(port) and buadrate are correct you shoud see raw GPS data being output. The output will look similar to this

GPSD,R=1
    $PRWIRID,12,01.05,07/29/96,0003,*46
    $GPRMC,235247,V,4333.1694,N,10813.0065,W,0.000,0.0 ,120815,12.3,E*42
    $PRWIZCH,00,0,00,0,00,0,00,0,00,0,00,0,00,0,00,0,0 0,0,00,0,00,0,00,0*4D

2)Configure SQL database:
    Gpsdrive uses a SQL database in conjuction with Kismet to gather the necessary information to plot Access Points on its map.
    - Start the mysql service
    /etc/init.d/mysql start

- Go to the /usr/share/doc/gpsdrive directory within this directory is the create.sql database template. Create sql database using the template: mysql < create.sql

3) Start Kismet and then gpsdrive. In gpsdrive check the Use SQL option on the left tab.
    Gpsdrive should begin to plot the Access Points on its map!
    Note: Close gpsdrive first before you close Kismet or else gpsdrive will hang!
    To delete the database and create a new one or to backup your database:
    • The mysql database file is within the folder /var/lib/mysql/geoinfo
    • To create new database delete the geoinfo directory and proceed through steps 1 thru 2 again.
    • To backup just copy the folder to another directory
    ~ William & Re@lity

hope helps..
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Thank YOU very much for spreading knowledge! I would try that. Does GPSdrive map assumed area of coverage for the network, or it just plots the places where networks were found?

BTW does anybody know any other mapping software for kismet and Linux besides gpsmap, gpsdrive and JiGLE? Preferably with area plotting

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    ther's a good tutor on remote-exploit website,
    Keep in mind, if you haven't use gpsdrive before, you'll have to download maps for it.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Does GPSdrive map assumed area of coverage for the network, or it just plots the places where networks were found?

Quote Originally Posted by andlog6 View Post
    Does GPSdrive map assumed area of coverage for the network, or it just plots the places where networks were found?
    Most such programs plot the location where you are that received the strongest signal from the AP; thus, your maps will show that most networks appear to be on the road.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";