Thread: Weird bottom right cursor position freeze.

Just burned his ISO

Default Weird bottom right cursor position freeze.

I just installed Backtrack 5 Gnome x64 version. Along with it i installed AMD ATI official drivers from their site for my ATI 5770, and i installed compiz and pidgin.

The problem is i don't remember if the bug existed before installing any of these applications, but now when i move my cursor in the area of workspaces/trash and a little above it everything seems normal, but when i try to move the cursor out of that "invisible" box every freezes for about 1, 2 seconds and my CPU load rises.

I checked the system monitor and it rises for about 75% on one core (i have AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE) core 3 or core 4, may be even the first two but wasn't patient enough to check. This CPU load stands only for the duration of the freeze which is 1, 2 seconds.

Default Re: Weird bottom right cursor position freeze.

You could try uninstalling the ATI proprietary drivers by:
    Code:
     aticonfig --uninstall
    And seeing whether that's causing the issue.
    "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? "

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by DimeNYANCAT View Post
    I just installed Backtrack 5 Gnome x64 version. Along with it i installed AMD ATI official drivers from their site for my ATI 5770, and i installed compiz and pidgin.

The problem is i don't remember if the bug existed before installing any of these applications, but now when i move my cursor in the area of workspaces/trash and a little above it everything seems normal, but when i try to move the cursor out of that "invisible" box every freezes for about 1, 2 seconds and my CPU load rises.

I checked the system monitor and it rises for about 75% on one core (i have AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE) core 3 or core 4, may be even the first two but wasn't patient enough to check. This CPU load stands only for the duration of the freeze which is 1, 2 seconds.

I`ve got EXACTLY the SAME PROBLEM! First I installed Backtrack 5 Gnome x64 version. I also installed the AMD ATI official driver from their homepage for my ATI Radeon HD 5xxx and also installed Compiz-Fusion. Compiz works like a charm but I experienced the same issue with the magic "laggy-spot" in the bottom right corner. Whenever I move the mouse in that area the mouse (or probably X-Server ) hangs for a second. I could have lived with that but after installing VMware Workstation 7.1 i tried to start a VM (Metasploitable and others). Just after clicking start VM my computer freezes and doesn`t come back (Alt+Ctrl+F1 doesn`t work either). I definitely need VMware running!! So i decided to try the x86 version but after installing the ATI driver in that version the lagging in the corner and the freezes of VMWare continued. So i removed the ATI-Driver and the lagging in the corner was gone (so was my Compiz-cube :P ) but the freezes of VMWare still continued. So i assume it has something to do with the drivers that were preinstalled (see screenshot) but until now i wasn`t able to solve the problem! I don`t really need that awesome cube but without VMware which hosts should i legally attack Please help us out with that urgent bugfix!

Whats about trying fglrx driver instead of ati one and how to do that? And what about disabling VT in the bios of the VM? Could that mayb help? Please share your experiences -> Need this get solved quick

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

I am sorry i didn't have time to respond or try anything yesterday i was really busy. Uninstalling the drivers indeed fixes the problem for me but then i don't have my pretty compiz plus my GPU fan speed by default raises to max which is really annoying and loud. I really hope this is Backtrack issue because i doubt AMD will put any effort into fixing this...

I am going to try and install different version of drivers, see if i get lucky.

Just burned his ISO

Angry Re: Weird bottom right cursor position freeze.

I was not able to solve the problem until now - even with fglrx driver the problems continued...

Just burned his ISO

It's an issue with ATI proprietary drivers 11.5... So, i guess we wont be seeing fix for this one in near future... Same bugs for me in BT Gnome 64bit, BT KDE 32bit and Fedora 15 32bit.
    Last edited by DimeNYANCAT; 05-28-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Yes I had the same problem. First time I saw it in firefox so I thought it's about new addons that were just installed. Now I saw it is up to 11.5 ati driver. You dont have to do aticonfig --uninstall. Just download 11.4 version and install it over 11.5.
    It will work (worked at me). Compiz also works fine.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re : Weird bottom right cursor position freeze.

Exactly the same problem on with an ASUS 6450, Propietary Drivers 11.5, KDE 4.6.3, Compiz, Fedora Core 15, 32Bit, SandyBridge 2500K, Intel SSD 510 and Enermax Pro 80+.

Guys over at FXCE Forums have the same issue.

People say 11.4 doesnt show the problem - but where do I get 11.4 ?

ATI has to fix this !!!

Just burned his ISO

Yea i know, back when i had this bug i was searching for 11.4 drivers but they were not available on AMD ATI site. I tried today and they were there, i just searched for desktop graphics>hd series>5xxx>linux x86_64 and then at the bottom, previous drivers. Installed 11.4 the same way as i installed 11.5 and everything worked like a charm.

I had some weird bug on Fedora which resulted in X crashing but anyway i wanted to install Backtrack which is now working fine. Also fan speed is normal and compiz is working as it should.

Just burned his ISO

Default AW: Weird bottom right cursor position freeze.

Hi and thank you very much SpreX for the info to try the 11.4 instead of the 11.5 ATI driver. Fixed the Issue

My Problem with VMWare still exists though
    On VMware Workstation 7.1 whenever i try to start a VM the OS freezes and does not react anymore...
    Tried reinstalling VMWare but the Problem still continues. Can anyone help with that?

Edit:

Had to turn off VT-x in vmware - somehow that was the reason for the crashes when starting virtual machines. I just wonder why it works on the same machine in Win 7 //www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/images/smilies/confused.png
    Last edited by sickness; 06-22-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Merged posts.