Thread: Using COWPATTY to break WEP

Default Using COWPATTY to break WEP

Is it possible to use CoWPAtty to break WEP?

If I have a large list of words (HUGE), could I use coWPAtty on a capture file of IVs to crack WEP?

THanks

Do you want to break WEP or WPA? Because a dictionary list won't do you any good with WEP (well, it might, but there are better/stronger/faster ways.)
    ---
    Useful HowTo Threads <-- Why do people think I'm joking when I link this?

I meant WEP. Maybe thought it was faster, but I guess not.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to capture the EAPOL packets for the WPA handshake? When I open Ethereal/Ettercap/Wireshark and go to options and click on filters and type "ether proto 0x883" and then Start, it doesnt find any packets.

Does it matter if I am not connected to a network? Do I have to be? Is my card supposed to be in monitor mode?

AHHHH HELP!

THanks

Run airodump-ng and wait for a handshake, there will be a notification in the airodump output. If in doubt deauth.
    ---
    Useful HowTo Threads <-- Why do people think I'm joking when I link this?

Quote Originally Posted by bound4h View Post
    Is it possible to use CoWPAtty to break WEP?

If I have a large list of words (HUGE), could I use coWPAtty on a capture file of IVs to crack WEP?

THanks
    coWPAtty is a WPA tool, not a WEP tool!

With aircrack-ptw, I can't imagine how you would possibly need to crack WEP any faster.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

What exactly do I need type for aircrack-ptw? Can you give me the command line?

Sorry for the noob question.

Also, with airodump-ng, if I identify the channel and the MAC of the AP, how will I know if it is the handshake that I am capturing and not the regular 802.11 management traffic and information flow?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by bound4h View Post
    What exactly do I need type for aircrack-ptw? Can you give me the command line?

Sorry for the noob question.

Also, with airodump-ng, if I identify the channel and the MAC of the AP, how will I know if it is the handshake that I am capturing and not the regular 802.11 management traffic and information flow?

Thanks guys
    Link for aircrack-ptw --> http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aircrack-ptw/

I believe the ptw attack is also integrated into the Aircrack-ng v.09 suite.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";