Thread: [SOLVED]Backtrack 5 live USB booting - display and startx problem

Lightbulb [SOLVED]Backtrack 5 live USB booting - display and startx problem

Hello there!
    FIRST OF ALL PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PROCEDURE DID WORK FOR ME, SO I'M NOT SHURE IT WILL WORK FOR YOU AS WELL!
    here is a brief short description about what hapend to me:
    I've downloaded BT5 KDE x64 and create bootable USB pen drive using unetbootin and...
    I did have nasty problem with booting live Backtrack 5 from my USB flash drive, after booting up boot menu apear, I've selected default - text mode (the first option) but there was a problem with display after that, only grayed lines blinking on my screen and nothing hapend - I was unable to restart or shut down my notebook.
    I did check MD5 checksum and it was just fine as it should be hm...
    then I've downloaded BT5 GNOME x64 and create bootable USB pen drive using unetbootin same as before...
    this time screen did not blinking it was just fine and I was loged in as root but problem was wen executing startx command, x server reported some errors and was unable to start desktop, damn I was crazy allready.
    then I've downloaded "linuxlive USB creator" this time and NOT UNETBOOTIN and create bootable USB using BT5 KDE x64 but problem was the same as before... WTF woot!!??
    ok let's give a chance to "linuxlive USB creator" one more time I sad, but using BT5 GNOME x64 this time...
    created, rebooted and stil same damn problem ?!
    then I figure out what the hell is going on

if you did experience exact same problems as me here is what u have to do to make this misterious thing work, but up and execute startx corectly:
    1. download "linuxlive USB creator" (just tipe that into google and click on first link in results)
    2. downlaod BT5 GNOME x64 (or x86 if u are using x86 bit processor)
    3. install "LiLi" and start it up from start>all programs (in windows)
    4. set up options and create USB using LiLi ("linuxlive USB creator")
    5. restart you're comp and boot from USB
    6. now when boot menu shows up DO NOT SELECT first option !!! "default - text mode" instead of that select 3th one which is similar called "default - text mode" as well, same name as first option
    7. now you will be able to execute startx and voil'a desktop show's up

by the way I'm using toshiba satelite P300D, ATI mobility radeon HD3xxx series, harman/kardon sound etc.
    however sound do not work on my laptop in Backtrack5, but f*** that, you don't need it.
    I trully hope that this metod will somehow work for you!
    best regards!
    sasanet.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: [SOLVED]Backtrack 5 live USB booting - display and startx problem

hahaha
    Im having problems similar to this

1st when I boot linux from the USB (after using unetbootin) (and its bt5-kde-64) and start up from default, it goes, and then enters a kind of black screen, then shows the starting kernels and everything on the black screen, and I type startx. Startx literally does NOTHING

so i rebooted, and am currently downloading BT5-Gnome-64 and will tell you if your solution worked for me

Just burned his ISO

evil, do you have any solution for this problem. I tried sasa solution but unsucessful.

Just burned his ISO

I'm having the exact same problems, and I'm running a Toshiba Satellite as well. I'll try your method and report back on its success!

Just burned his ISO

Default didn't work for me.

The LinuxLive installation of BT5-Gnome-32 seemed to proceed correctly and reported success to the USB.

Upon reboot to the USB, I get only black screen and two words "Boot Error"

Just burned his ISO

Okay, here my problem and how I solve it. I downloaded backtrack 5-64 from backtrack site, but I don't know why it won't work with Lili or any programs that I found online and from searching within backtrack forum. So so many times failed, I tried Lili again, with download backtrack manually function from Lili. Followed every step with Lili, and my usb was ready to use.
    Boot for the first time, third option - Default boot text menu, went through to startx, and black screen. I type "startx" without seeing the text, and It was working.
    Okay, suffing web and read news, tried airmon and airodump, everything was ok.
    Open Lili on my windows, tried the Persistent mode function---> third menu --> unsuccessful.
    shutdown, and this morning boot up again,unsuccessful. So I tried the first menu, startx, and type startx without seeing text again. and It worked like magic.
    This is my solution with TOshiba A665-6058.

Default Re: didn't work for me.

"boot error" means that yur usb stick is not being properly recognized as a hard drive at boot. there are 2(3) other 'almost' types of format, floppy. zip (hybrid). get a tool that does it properly-once improperly formatted, then a reformat in windows does not fix the problem.

regarding the screen problms, one question-do your laptops have nvidia chipsets?