Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Get VLC to work under root without compiling

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Get VLC to work under root without compiling

Okay everybody;
    ticktack is technically absolutely correct. That being said, it is absolutely stupid that this thread has gone on so long, so to reiterate; for those of you whom wish to modify the hex value (although technically incorrect):

Open Terminal:
    Code:
    apt-get install ghex
    Open Filesystem/usr/bin
    Right click on vlc --->click on open with --->other applications--->Hex Editor

THEN

Click Edit Menu--->Replace--->in the top right box type in geteuid--->in the bottom right box type in getppid

Exit and save. So easy a monkey could do it...but still wrong. That said; you are using BackTrack Linux-not Ubuntu. If you want easy, you are in the wrong distro.

Since BackTrack 5 and VLC are both open source, I don't understand why people keep talking about a right way and wrong way. There are several tricks to run vlc as root like editing a simple hex value like I posted, compiling as ticktack posted and probably a couple more ways.

In my opinion it's not important HOW you do it as long as you succeed. None of the techniques posted in this thread will damage you PC. (Also due to the fact that BT5 is not for linux beginners, but for advanced users who know what they are doing.)

So I say use whatever technique you want. It's a freedom Windows user do not get. Quit criticizing techniques you think you know a better way for. The purpose is to run VLC as root which my first post made possible.

That being said, I hope this topic can be locked before this becomes bigger than it already is.

Just burned his ISO

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the due diligence guy.

Just burned his ISO

Hello. Do you know a way I can install vlc on Backtrack 5 offline??

Download on other PC, transfer via USB and install ?

cgelici,

Thank you for the wonderful little hack. I had encountered the same situation when trying to install VLC. You have now given me a new option that I didn't have before, I cannot wait to try this out tonight. Once again, hacking is instrumental in changing things for the better.

I'd like to point out as a side note though; a lot of "newbies" to the linux world try to insist on using BackTrack as their learning platform. While it is highly recommended AGAINST; I must confess, BT3 is where I got my start in linux, because I too was insistent.

For the Linux users just starting out that insist on learning with BackTrack; please please PLEASE...be aware that doing things as ROOT gives ANY program ROOT access; and if you decide to use the above stated hack to doctor up your VLC and then you watch some pr0n, and then you notice your system acting weird...Well...You were warned.

V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..
    I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass..

Just burned his ISO

worked for me, using bt5 r1 kde g4 bits

thanks!!!

Just burned his ISO

Thanks man I have my VLC, back there is no substitute. I used bless hex editor out of synaptic. You will find what your looking for in the right window of the bless GUI. Three cheers for you mate.

Just burned his ISO

I haven't seen this answer posted but the fix works with BT 5 R1 64 bit Gnome version.

Just burned his ISO

I also used this hack but I also had to run pulseaudio --system in a term window. Until I figured that out I couldn't get sound no matter what I did.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast