Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: persistent USB installation problem

Just burned his ISO

Default persistent USB installation problem

hi folks,

im trying to make a persistent USB installation with the new bt5-kde-32.iso but unfortunaly i get a problem.
    Actually i use the same USBkey Kingston 16Gb i had for BT4r2 release which is worked good with no error with the following line i founded on the wiki at Persistent USB - BackTrack Linux , but now when i do the same steps once i reach the grub step i get this error:

"
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn : Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fix in it..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn : Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup : error : if you really want blocklists, use --force
    "
    i tried to use --force option but when i boot with the key will just be stuck at grub> command.
    I was lookin for the menu.lst as well but haven't seen it on the /mnt/sdb1/boot/grub/ so i edited the file /isolinux/isolinux.cfg but probably is not the right file.

Any of you got the same problem ?
    Tried with both version kde and gnome but same results stuck at grub point ...
    Any help is appreciated

BT is soo great thk much for the effort you all put in it.

Default Re: persistent USB installation problem

Yes, BT5 is having some issues when using usb, dont know why, i had to burn it on DVD in order to install it in dual boot, i have tried, several usb installation methods, unetbootin, linux-usb-maker, text mode......none of them worked.
    Good luck
    GD

Had usb issues as well using unetbooting, grub-install method etc. Had to also burn to DVD to get it installed on computer.

I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

johnjohn, I'll give you a look into my experience.

I normally use a 160 External WD hard drive velcroed to the lid of my laptop as my laptop boots from usb (main hd is only 80 gigs so i run windows from it and didn't want to partition it). 160 gig HD is partitioned into a primary fat 32 with 20 gigs of space. The second is an ext3 partition where I keep all my resources (scripts, rainbow tables, etc.) Works perfect in BT4 when installed thru LiLi usb boot loader with persistence, as changes i make to the primary partition are saved. However, LiLi throws a warning when you try to install bt 5-gnome or kde (tried both just to test). It says it's not in the install list, but it will try the same steps as bt4 r2. Fine. Backtrack 5 loads up fine, but there is no command to use persistence. Just the text mode, nodrm,safe,debug, etc modes.

All in all, Bt 5 looks pretty sweet though, played around with it last night a little and it's pretty sharp. Much better organization and removal of alot of overlapping tools. All that remains is to figure out how to get persistence working using the LiLi method (I'm one of those people that likes to boot straight from BT, or pop it into a windows machine and do the vm thing.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks much for the replies, i will try now again maybe i missed something between steps.

Just burned his ISO

following this link i tried again to make in the main partition of USB disk much more space, did few tries with different spaces like 6,9,12Gb but still happen the same message from the command grub-install
    "
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn : Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fix in it..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn : Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup : error : if you really want blocklists, use --force
    "

guess the problem is not really the space you have reserved.

The poster(s) in that thread seem to have had success with a smaller storage device than you're talking about. You should ask what instructions/process they went through.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Guyz, dont be pessimists, there are other ways around problems, try to fix a bug before complaining about it, a live DVD works great, do some google search, check ubuntu forums, this will help you learn as well dont expect everything to work for you, the Team has done an awesome job, my BT5 Gnome works a charm, ok usb didnt work, who cares, i keep on trying several fixes, so if everyone should try to do the same, keep posting fixes and hopefully make this distro better.
    Thank you.
    GD

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdog67 View Post
    Guyz, dont be pessimists, there are other ways around problems, try to fix a bug before complaining about it, a live DVD works great, do some google search, check ubuntu forums, this will help you learn as well dont expect everything to work for you, the Team has done an awesome job, my BT5 Gnome works a charm, ok usb didnt work, who cares, i keep on trying several fixes, so if everyone should try to do the same, keep posting fixes and hopefully make this distro better.
    Thank you.
    GD
    That is the correct attitude to have. Especially when it comes to open source and free applications.

Also for those having problems see the wiki. Unetbootin now supports persistence.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast