Thread: 2 Problems

Just burned his ISO

Default 2 Problems

I just installed the 32-bit gnome version of BT5. I've got 2 problems currently slowing me down. The first of which is probably easier.

My laptop has a Nvidia 8200 GPU. I go to the nvidia website, download the appropriate linux x86 drivers and run the command sh (driver filename). The installer opens and I can accept to start the install process but immediately after I am given the following error...

"Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured;"

My second problem is related to my wireless card unfortunately. My laptop is a compaq CQ60215dx which comes with a ar5007 wireless card built in. Under wicd I see no wireless connections. When I do ifconfig I do not see wlan0. The wireless button is blue(on), and when pressed doesn't turn orange (off). This card works without issue on knoppix at boot btw, so I know the card can work with linux.

Any help is appreciated, I tried searching but it seems a lot of posts are locked or missing.

Default Re: 2 Problems

Ok ill respond to your problem, at least the wireless one. If it isn't recognizing your card you need to rmod the drivers that are running for it if any then modprobe for the driver that is needed. Whether or not it will work with backtrack you can find for yourself, I'm not sure if its been updated but the wiki is a great place to start. As for posts locked and missing its because they don't apply to the current version and therefore do not need to be seen
    Last edited by rizler; 05-11-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: speling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by peterdowney01 View Post
    I just installed the 32-bit gnome version of BT5. I've got 2 problems currently slowing me down. The first of which is probably easier.

My laptop has a Nvidia 8200 GPU. I go to the nvidia website, download the appropriate linux x86 drivers and run the command sh (driver filename). The installer opens and I can accept to start the install process but immediately after I am given the following error...

"Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured;"

My second problem is related to my wireless card unfortunately. My laptop is a compaq CQ60215dx which comes with a ar5007 wireless card built in. Under wicd I see no wireless connections. When I do ifconfig I do not see wlan0. The wireless button is blue(on), and when pressed doesn't turn orange (off). This card works without issue on knoppix at boot btw, so I know the card can work with linux.

Any help is appreciated, I tried searching but it seems a lot of posts are locked or missing.
    And with regards to your driver problem..... Have you done this ...... http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ivers-etc.html .Which is in the how-to section ? (credit to 'muts' ... obviously.. ;-) )

regards,

Array

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by peterdowney01 View Post
    Greetings:

Have you tried the basics?

If you just run "ifconfig" after booting, you will not see any active interfaces, as BT does not bring them up by default, unless you edit your startup config. (Disclaimer: I am d/l ing BT5 now, but that's how it worked in ver 4.)

From a fresh boot, open a terminal window.

ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "My Network" or iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:00:00:00:00:00 (your ap's mac address)
    dhclient wlan0

You should get an IP address ( if your ap is set to serve IP's by DHCP) and now if you run ifconfig w/o any parameters you will see the stats on your wireless interface, same is true with iwconfig but the output is different.

As far as your wireless card's hardware switch (I think that's what you are describing) I think there is a possibility it is controlled by drivers loaded by windows (are you running that?) and while your card will work in linux, the hardware switch will not (unless you have linux drivers for it). If you are not running win just disregard.

Keep in mind if you want to use the wicd gui for this the wicd service must be started first: /etc/init.d/wicd start or service wicd start from a terminal then you can use the wicd client from the gui.

Of course most of this can be automated by /etc/init.d/networking start. But doing a manual config is better for troubleshooting. More here: Basic Usage - BackTrack Linux